IGNORED

What performance do you get after upgrades?

HxC240z

Hi, I was thinking of buying performance stuff for my 240 when I'm attempting it's rebuild. What can you get out of running something like a stage II cam, electric ignition, wider exhaust or what kind of basic upgrades do you suggest. I'm looking for things like the 0-60 and top speed when I ask "What can you get", but any info would be appreciated. Also is there are any better places to buy stuff other than MSA? Thanks, Roger

Its expensive to get a L24 cranking power.

Some people say that a new ignition setup can run you anywhere between 15hp and 20hp for just a couple hundred dollars.

Exhaust can be pricey and might give you a few HP. Most go 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 inch diameter as anything bigger can/will decrease performance.

A few hundred for an r200 diff. Will help improve acceleration. A 5 speed will also be a bit better because of the closer gear ratios with the additional gear.

Triple carbs.

Stroker motor (increase to 2.7L)

If you really want to trick out the motor, all you can really do is the ignition setup and exhaust without getting into the thousands of dollars to get a few horses. Its pricey to pull even 200hp off with the L24.

A R200 / 5-Speed can sometimes be found for pretty cheap.

If you are wanting to get 200+ HP easy and for fairly cheap, you need to look for an L28 motor or you could just always go RB/VG or V8 even..

Myself, I am looking at a triple carb setup and stroke my L24. Looking at the prices, it sure isn't going to be cheap by any means. Looking at a price tag of a few thousand with anywhere between 200hp and 250hp pay off. I know that I could go L28 or V8, but I want something a little different and rarer to see anyone else with, while keeping my Z car as original as possible.

I posted earlier with no response, but could I use my 85 300zx's electric ignition in my 240. And how do you make a stroker motor?

No. Find a '79 thou '83 ZX Dist. from a manual shift ZX . The '79-'81 has a module on the side of the dist marked 12 80 This is the module you need for your application . All the years mentioned above have the same Dist but the later ones have a different module with one more contact meant for a computer input . For a stroker, you need a crank from a Nissan Maxima diesel engine the rods used are from a L24 , preferably , from a '73 block . They have larger 9mm rod bolts. Not mandatory but I am told these are the ones to use. From there a L-28 or F-54 block. To make the power gain the block should be bored. Generally to increase the CCs to 3000. Then most use the P-90 head or P-79 or 47 as second choices. Debate will ensue over this one . Then which ever head used much porting and other head work must be done. Then for a engine like this Wolf ignition , triple carbs , Weber's or Mikunis. Then headers and a 2 1/2'' mandrel bent exhaust system .

As a recommendation, I suggest you research the basics of engine building/modification so you gain an understanding of why and what one can do to their engine. No one particular modification is the secret answer but a combination of the right mods that make a strong engine. And, depending upon your application, modifications will vary. There are modifications, other than the engine, that will make your Z quicker.......light weight flywheel, different tranny, different differential gearing, etc., etc.

Tom

I think the real question is how much money you got? That in itself will determine how much HP you're going to get. An L28T transplant will give you a nice upgrade if you like that approach, or you could go (staying w/L-series engines) a built L24 or 28 w/diesel crank (stroker), cam, EFI, or triples or supercharger.

Throttle response?

Turbo - slight to moderate lag but when it spools and hits, it's great.

Supercharger - not that I have noticed (in our race car), all the nice things about a turbo and the response of an NA motor.

Triples - immediate.....I just drove my L28 (3.2L stroker w/44mm Mikunis with256hp@rwhs) back from having the clutch replaced. It is a joy, but doesn't have as much HP/Torque as a prepped turbo motor (320-400 +hp@rwhs).

No. Find a '79 thou '83 ZX Dist. from a manual shift ZX . The '79-'81 has a module on the side of the dist marked 12 80 This is the module you need for your application .

I agree, this was the mod that yielded me the best,instantlly noticable results, from easier starting to a massivley better accelleration curve.

M2Cs

The biggest power gains in these engines are with head work. You should stand back and plan the package as a whole then introduce parts as and when your wallet will allow, making sure that the order in which you introduce them doesn't decrease the performance. e.g larger exhaust diameter on a L24 = less low down torque. Building a head suitable for that "future" L28 upgrade but putting it on a L24 will not be a good idea (so my head builder informs me). A L24 likes 40mm carbs but a L28 prefers 44's or 45's. So spending money on dyno time to set up the 40's will have to done again (and different jets) for a L28 if you want to extract the most from it, which is the point of the upgrades anyway.

Electronic ignition is a good starting point as all L series will benefit from it, so is the diff upgrade. Apart from that, if you want power, don't rebuild the L24. Buy a L28 and slowly build that up until it is ready to drop in, then change the exhaust and off you go to the dyno.

Don't forget about brake and handling upgrades as well. There is little point going fast if you can't go around corners or stop. I'd do that before any "go faster" mods.

Not too hijack this thread, but what will improve throtle response the most? I've always puzzled over what affects throtle response.

I don't know from experience, but for a 240z, I would think an R200 diff for throttle response. A 5-Speed would help all the more too with the R200 diff.

Don't forget about brake and handling upgrades as well. There is little point going fast if you can't go around corners or stop. I'd do that before any "go faster" mods.

I was asking about this stuff because I'm not sure what to upgrade when I am rebuilding it. I was planning on putting what I could afford in while I was already in there. After that I'll take it easy until I can buy some brakes/suspension upgrades. Also I'm sticking with the stock block, I'm not too worried about allot of performance just wondering what should I put in to juice it up during it's rebuild.