IGNORED

Tool storage?

back-to-zcars

I have just become the new owner of a 71 240z (series 1 car).

My son and I also own a 73 240z that is to far gone to fix up, and has become a parts car. My question is has anyone removed the front rear deck tool storage pockets from a later 240 to retrofit into a series 1 car, and if yes do you have pic's?

The 71 needs some bodywork and most if the interior redone, it has a l28 so it is not a No. correct car and I am not sure if I am going to keep it totally correct with the rebuild, or make it comfortable to drive with PW PL and updated seats.

Thanks Dave

• 8 years later...

Just some food for thought! Perhaps, instead of all the work involved to convert a series 1 car to a 73 style tool storage, you could just fabricate nice enclosures that function as the original plastic tool storage units. But then again, I have no idea how many tools you plan to store. Just my 2 cents!

• 5 months later...

When I picked my car up I didn't realize it at the time but some dingus removed the tool storage altogether.  Now, behind my seats, it just slopes upward.  It's annoying because now the interior trim vinyls just stop and don't blend into each other.  For the meantime I just sound deadened the whole area and will carpet it in the hopes of making it look normal.

To answer your question, I plan to just fab in some metal and square it off to make it look correct.  I will then just cut holes via a template or just leave it, still unsure. I have seen on ebay someone selling just that section though, but since you already have the donor, go for it. It looks like you'd just cut it out at the seams and swap it over.  Looking at my car, it doesn't look like there is much holding that section in so it might be a pretty quick swap.

Black Dragon has replacement vinyl covers available see pg 43 of their current catalog. I bring this up because in the Series I, this storage area is unused. It makes a great speaker location when packed with fiberglass. The cover over the void is just linoleum and easily cut away.

My vinyl covers are plenty big enough for the jack, tool pouch, and a small tool kit with sockets.