IGNORED

240Z Header Recommendation

jmark

I have done the search but I am still up in the air as to which header to buy. I need to replace the rusted header on my '71 240Z as well. The car's motor is stock & running the SU's. I have asked several knowledgable Z people and I have been given several opinions.

1) Price no object 1 3/8" or 1 1/2" Stahl header (Pretty much universally the best but it is $775 plus shipping)

2) 1 5/8" Nissan Motorsport header either chromed or unplated (ceramic coating extra) The opinions vary on whether the chrome will last or rust. I am leaning towards getting an unplated one and ceramic coating it.

3) MSA ceramic coated header (I have one of their coated headers + their aluminized exhaust system on my '78. Fitment was an issue and the drone a problem. Sal says they have improved their header design and are working on the drone.)

I'd like opinions of those who are using the different brands. Especially anyone using the Nissan Motorsport header chrome or coated. Thanks!

post-5664-14150799566648_thumb.jpg

There are a couple of other options:

BRE race header replica, $1500.00 :)

Rebello Stepped race header $??

Nissan motorsports header with huge primaries that would not work well...

But for the best performance in a street or race car I would suggest the Stahl. I have spoken to Jere and he really knows his stuff. Builds a really well made product...It's worth the money.

The MSA header's primary tubes might be a little big for a 2.4

I know that Les Cannaday has another option as well along with the Stahl that he sells. you might want to call him for his personal take on what is available. 760-940-6365. les@classicdatsun.com

Ron has a good point, in that most of the stuff on the market today is designed to flow well on a modified L28 and will have tubes too large for those of us still running mostly stock L24s.

After the issues I had with the old Hooker Super Comp header I have in the yellow car, and with some personal ideas about best flow, my own criteria for exhaust on a stock L24 would be a small tube header with a thick, machined one-piece flange. I'd mate that up to a custom-built 2" or 2 1/4" exhaust that has both a resonator and a high flow muffler. I really like how the Dyno-Max #17-741 fits in back, much like stock.

Some may think this is a totally ridiculous idea, but why not go with the stock manifold? I've ran several headers on various L24s through the years, and low end power (what I'd call driveability) always suffers when installing a header on stock motors. In my opinion, it's just a waste of money. If you had better intake via modified carbs, porting, bigger cam, etc... then a header is worth considering.

Mark

I recently made my header purchase from MSA. The first header for my 2.4 SUCKED. The flange was thick but had slotted mounting holes(looked like a universal fit). The inside transition area inside where the pipe and flange meet was sloppy and full of voids-not very smooth. One header pipe hit the forward intake on the bottom--I sent it back to SAL

The second header was the LATEST version from a new vendor. The flange is a HUGE improvement with a precise drilled flange(no slots). The transition inside the pipe runners with very well done with no voids and smooth welds. The coating looked good and have read good things about performance.

The one pipe still made contact with the forward intake. With reluctance I grinded off about a 1/4" of material for clearance. This was in the area of the coolant passages which I was not using .I can't believe they cannot resolve this issue: maybe they will, I complained about it and recieved some compensation for it.

So I guess for me it is bang for the buck. 300$ for a coated header seems pretty good, maybe not the best.

Hope this helps

Some may think this is a totally ridiculous idea, but why not go with the stock manifold? I've ran several headers on various L24s through the years, and low end power (what I'd call driveability) always suffers when installing a header on stock motors. In my opinion, it's just a waste of money. If you had better intake via modified carbs, porting, bigger cam, etc... then a header is worth considering.

Mark

I agree in principal, Mark. My red 240Z still has the stock manifold and I have no plans to change it.

But when I made my plans to pull the oil-burning L28 out of my yellow 240Z and go back to a stock L24, I had to make a change - the round port L28 manifold wouldn't mate to the square-port E31 head. I really wanted to find a stock L24 exhaust manifold for it, but couldn't come up with one that was both affordable and not rusted and/or warped to junk. And since the parts car came with a header, the header is what I went with. Not altogether willingly, but that's where I ended up anyway.

Anyway, I guess my point is that since jmark's car already has a rusty header on it, he probably doesn't have a stock manifold to put back on it. And finding a good one can be hard.

Arne, do you think there is a market for a stock exhaust manifold (with injection gallery) that is in good condition? It came out of my car which was running very well until the head cracked/gasket blew/head warped. The manifold is not warped and only has minimal surface rust (So. Cal car).

Arne, do you think there is a market for a stock exhaust manifold (with injection gallery) that is in good condition? It came out of my car which was running very well until the head cracked/gasket blew/head warped. The manifold is not warped and only has minimal surface rust (So. Cal car).
Yes and no. There are people like myself who would prefer to go with that rather than a header. But there may not be many of us, and those manifolds are heavy enough that shipping costs are non-trivial. So the market for them might not be all that great. I see them sell on eBay now and then, but the sale price isn't normally that high - it's the shipping costs that add up.

Arne you are correct about the car already having a header. Ron I emailed Les and he felt the Nissan was too much and that the Stahl was tops. He felt for a less costly solution go with a MSA coated header. What other type does he sell? Stahl builds a 1 3/8" & 1 1/2" model which is probably better sized for the stock motor.

I agree with Mark as well. For an un-modified L-24 street car, the stock manifold flows well enough and you avoid all the fitment and droning problems.

If you must go with a header, you might want to consider ordering from the Jet-Hot Coatings website. I got a Pacesetter Header from them direct. They ordered the header, coated it and shipped it right to my door for around $300.

I was impressed with the quality of the workmanship and had no installation issues.

Just another option to consider.

Marty