IGNORED

I would appreciate your opinions please

Mckrack

Hi Everyone,

Well after a fairly long and grueling experience my series one car will finally be done within the next few days and I wanted to get your opinion on something. After looking at probably hundreds of Early 240z,& 260z and 280 Z cars I am toying with the idea of using the correct vinyl body side moldings on the car. I do know that this was either an aftremarket or accessory part back in the early 70s. Probably more an aftermarket item that dealers installed on many 240z cars especially. I think that those side moldings adds something to the look of the car but I just can't figure out why I seem to like the car better with them installed.

What's your take on this if you have one and does anyone know if those moldings were black or were they the same color as the car or close to it.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

McKrack

McKrack,

Any molding was after market. Most dealers around here installed the rivet on aluminum channel that accepted an insert. the inserts wereavailable in a healthy number of colors that closely matched most body colors, but also had black when there was not a close match for body color. My 280Z 2+2 came in DN 305(sky blue metalic) and the appropriate mounlding and inserts. The first time I went through the car, I repaired the moulding holes and left the moulding off. Within a month something was amis, I put the mouldings back on, and the car was right again.

That was a 2+2, and the mouldings helped it, I don't plan to put them on my 240Z because the body line they apply to is one of the styling elements that I really like to see "right"(and I don't want holes in my bodywork), but I may make a set magnetic and play with the idea some...

Will

Mine never had any mouldings on it when I got the car. I don't plan on putting any on either. That will make for one less thing to worry about. As far as appearance, I think they look good either way, with or without. What ever you decide, will be accepted by almost everyone I think because we have always seen them both ways.

Her Majesty phoned me this morning with the very same question! What a coincidence! So I contacted the wardrobe department right away and spoke to Alsace Gesechtnik, in charge of accessories. He is actually a really talented man! I think he lives on the other side of the river, though. If you know what I mean. Anyhow, Alsace suggested white side molding with the metal caps on each end - in gold. With matching gold screws. He said the glue-on type was just out these days and that screwing with your car showed so much commitment. He also suggested you match the molding with gold hubcaps. You know, the kind that keep spinning at the stop light? Seventeen inch would be nice, but nineteen is much better. Then he made some snide remark about size. Sounded like a Corvette slur to me.

So there you have it. Straight from the guy who consulted with Her Majesty and Princess. We talked about it a few years back and decided to dress in a traditional Japanese retro style. I went out on eBay and bought all the parts before everyone realized how chic the style was. If word gets out about side moldings, who knows where the price will go!

Could somebody post a picture of the side mouldings in question? I'm not really clear on what we're talking about.

26th-z, maybe instead of spinning hub caps you could get those kind like the taxis were using that stay straight up and down all the time, that way you could put a graphic of a queen from each suit in a deck of playing cards on it. Just a thought.

i once knew of a very nice, very low milage early car with some owner added trim, upgrades and improvements. if your car is a true example worthy of being critiqued by the most knowledgeable of experts you could do what this other guy did. but remember, his car was the world's lowest milage 240 at less than 16,000.

take a rattle can of rubberized under coating and spray to your hearts content.

remove the points and install a petronix unilight disturber, i mean distributor.

have some jackass mechanic in ny install 280 mustache bar bushing and then ship it down and back to tampa a few times in search of the correct diagnosis.

get some sheet metal screws and drill mount a radiator over flow tank into the side of your engine compartment.

drill mount a gold king's crown air freshner tp the dash for the best in aromatherapy.

these mods and others will be sure to elevate your car to "pristine early zcar" and one day you might be a trailer queen; i mean your car might be a queen.

i will add a picture of this other guy for you to meet at the daytona convention to discuss how to be a responsible person, i mean responsible early zcar enthusiast. the picture is of him in a bad light but then that is how i remembered his conversation with mr. k who was taken back by his brash statements, as indicated by the guy standing next to him.

cdavid

post-7185-14150799496875_thumb.jpg

I think this is the side-molding in question (from my '72Z):

It's a matter of personal taste, I guess, but personally I think those body side bumpers completely interfere with the 'lines' of a Z. The first thing I did after I bought my '71 was to carefully remove them.

Yes, I know that they serve a purpose. They are just ugly as sin, in my opinion.

Had them on my first Z, was happy I didnt replace them when I got it painted. I just cant help but think they take away from the sportscar feeling and do nothing but add to the "safety in the shopping lot" feeling. For some reason they seem to look a little better on a white or silver Z's compared to the darker colors tho.

I would say I love them. they are one of the reasons which I switched into S30's

BUT

depending on the style of the car and the color combination, if you want the racing sporty lok I would say, don't put them on, they look much classic and they give the "long body trim" view..

just an opinion..

good luck.