IGNORED

Datsun Scarab Info

zr240

I own factory Scarab # 155 and have been collecting information and developed a Registry since 1996. Looking at the thread, I find some things that are unusual. According to all the data I have, Scarab Engineering -- Brian Morrow's company--- was only in three northern California cities -- Campbell, San Carlos and (ultimately) San Jose. I've never tracked them down to the San Diego area.

Second, extensive research seems to suggest that somewhere less than 200 "factory" VIN Scarabs were ever produced. As stated in the thread, many "customer cars" were converted by Scarab as an optional cost to the kits and over a thousand kits were sold during the life of the company.

So far, the highest verifiable factory VIN has been # 189. I just locatedd VIN # 0003 about 6 months ago and it is now undergoing a full restro.

If anyone (whom I've not already spoken with) believesthey have a Scarab, please PM me and I'll add to the registry.

BTW-- since 1996 I've been able to find and authenticate less than 20 true "factory" VIN Scarabs.

Craig

Have you heard from her? If so, how's she getting along? Haven't seen her on the site for quite some time.

Your question prompted me to call her chok'n-arse up as I haven't talked to her in long time either. She was in good spirits and seems to be getting along pretty well. The economy has her down as is typical these days. She says ZRush is sleeping in the garage and the Scarab is still apart and waiting for restoration funding. Evidently she still has a dial-up connection and doesn't play computers much as a result. She drives a 280Z which she calls the Double D. She says it means daily driver, but I tease her about the reference.

Edited by 26th-Z

Good to hear that she's okay. I met her and Scott and MSA a few years back and they were nice people. I was acoustomed to seeing her posts here which have thinned down considerably, if not ceased alltogether since Scott's untimely passing.

• 2 months later...

I worked for Brian Morrow at his Campbell shop while in high school in 1977. I even got to drive a Scarab conversion to Santa Cruz for a car show. That was a good day! Anyway, my best friend's sister was married to Brian and he and I both worked in his Campbell manufacturing facilty. The old memory is not what it once was, but I may be able to add some first hand information for anyone who wamts it.

I worked for Brian Morrow at his Campbell shop while in high school in 1977. I even got to drive a Scarab conversion to Santa Cruz for a car show. That was a good day! Anyway, my best friend's sister was married to Brian and he and I both worked in his Campbell manufacturing facilty. The old memory is not what it once was, but I may be able to add some first hand information for anyone who wamts it.

Absolutely!! More information on this would be great especially first hand info.

There is a Scarab coming up for auction here in Sun Valley in Idaho in early September. At least the advertisement was in the local paper and we have a Sun Valley here. Attached is a picture of the car (poor scan of newspaper print). It is a 72.

I am not affiliated in any way remote or otherwise with the auction.

Mike

post-18366-14150808081814_thumb.jpg

post-18366-14150808082129_thumb.jpg

post-18366-14150808082346_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mikes Z car
add something

Scarab 155.

I can't tell from the photos if it has the Scarab badging. Having never seen one personally I didn't know to look for that. Maybe they called it a scarab to garner attention and it really is just a 240Z with a 327 in it? I saw it listed in the paper here this morning and noticed the recent thread on Scarabs. Mikemerkury posted a much better picture; there may be clues there a better trained eye could spot. Maybe the size or shape of the Scarab badging can be discerned even if it can't be read.

Mike