IGNORED

kenmeri v8 and 9inch swap

He's in the USA i think, so RB30 arent available, apart form the guy on hybridz that imported some of them to the USA.

Also ford must have an IRS diff by now? What do all the irs V8 falcons use for a diff?

I've read about somone that converted a live axle ford 9 inch into an irs unit and stuck it in a 240z.

pros: i think it's a neat idea, but use a ford smallblock with the dizzy in the front

cons: realize that you'll probably be shunned by hotrodders as well as other datsun enthusiasts. you may tell yourself that you don't care, but you will care

also, plan on selling it mid project or right after you're completed as this inevitably happens to every one whom i've heard about

the exception may be the hybridz v8 enthusiasts, but they have a network, peer and support network

i already have a v8 240z, and the reason im thinking about going with a 9 inch in the skyline is becouse i keep breaking my diff in the z, sure its only the r180 but its a low compression 350sbc, and im thinking about a turbocharged 383 in the skyline. im in the process of putting my turbo l28 engine in the skyline but it is slow go with all the snow and cold weather in colorado. it should be done in a month or two, but im just thinking about what to do with it for next summer. as far as the datsun purists go , i respect their opinions, but this is a beautiful car that im going to be putting alot of time and money into so i want it how i want it,,,,FAST! !!

thanks guys

An R180 is a 7" diff so not surprising you're breaking them!

Unfortunately Ford Oz use a BW diff in all the 'coons so that is no use (p*** poor ratio selection for one, poor quality control for another).

There WAS an engineering firm in southern NSW making aluminium housings etc to create an independent rear suspension 9" diff for Cobra's but haven't heard of them for a while.

Do a search in the Cobra kitcar line, someone must still do one!

Failing that, try Hollinger Engineering and Harrop Engineering, both in Victoria Oz but be prepared for a sticker shock.

Don't overlook the R230 diff out of late Nissan Patrol. If you can bust THAT then you need a Dana 60, not a Ford!!!

On choice of engine, why even bother with where the dizzy is? Convert the engine to use a MegaJolt Lite Junior with EDIS so NO dizzy.

also, plan on selling it mid project or right after you're completed as this inevitably happens to every one whom i've heard about

O ye of little faith or maybe your still reeling from the effects of Lachlan selling his beauty.

I can honestly say that everyone on this site will support you 100% as I'm sorta doing the same thing as you and everyone has been more than great to me.

I'm putting the whole assembly from a 300zx LSD IRS into mine, I've been told it's a R230 diff (1.4mm bigger than a 9inch) but I cannot verify this as I know nothing about them. I've attached photos of the IRS assembly, I bought it deliverd to my house for $450 AUD including 6 month warranty.

With rough measurements it appears I will have to pump the rear guards 7cm each side :cheeky:

post-9623-14150799312428_thumb.jpg

post-9623-14150799313167_thumb.jpg

post-9623-14150799314036_thumb.jpg

He's in the USA i think, so RB30 arent available, apart form the guy on hybridz that imported some of them to the USA.

Also ford must have an IRS diff by now? What do all the irs V8 falcons use for a diff?

I've read about somone that converted a live axle ford 9 inch into an irs unit and stuck it in a 240z.

Ford might have independent rear suspension in OZ, but here in the U.S. all (both?) of their rear-drive cars are still live axle, except perhaps for the GT40...

At least the Mustang and Crown Victoria/Marquis are still live rear axle. I don't think that they have any others... Just the two refugees from that 70's show.:rolleyes:

Here in the U.S. the only Fords with IRS are the Explorer/Expedition S.U.V.s, and the '00-'04 (I believe these are the years) Mustang Cobra. An R200 should be able to handle the power of just about anything really. I know that Jun used the R200 in both of their HyperLemon Silvias. Each were putting down about 700hp. And then again you could go a step further with the R230 from the Z32TT. These are short nose cases and would need some work to get it in. I am just going to use an R200 LSD in mine. And this will be with the RB30dett I'm building. The real trick to the R200 is to find a later 12mm bolt version. These were from the '86 and later cars. These are typically considered stronger than the early 10mm bolt ones.

Brian

Ford might have independent rear suspension in OZ, but here in the U.S. all (both?) of their rear-drive cars are still live axle, except perhaps for the GT40...

At least the Mustang and Crown Victoria/Marquis are still live rear axle. I don't think that they have any others... Just the two refugees from that 70's show.:rolleyes:

Here in Aus theres a Ford v's Holden rivalry. There's a touring car race series thats Ford Falcon v's the Holden Commodore.

I think Holden went IRS first, so Ford had to go IRS too.

Here's the ford:

http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/ContentServer?cid=1137385397563&pagename=Page&c=DFYPage

Looks like GM is going to export the Commodore Sedan to the USA (They previously sent the 2 door over as the GTO ) I hear they had on at the Detroit(?) motor show recently.

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action/modeloverview?modelid=4006