IGNORED

International Car Shipping, questions and advice ..

280z1975

Well it looks like my wife and I will be moving to Europe (Belgium) during the year. It's going to be a permanent move, so I REALLY want to take my Z with me. I would like to hear recommendations for shipping companies? The costs involved, the issues, etc. ...

I am planning on shipping in a 20 foot container and packing some extra stuff with us (family stuff, clothes, etc.). I figure this is the best and cheapest method.

Thanks for any help in advance.

I hope someone out there will know the answer of this question.

Currently I am located in Hamilton, Ontario (an hour from the border with Niagara Falls, NY). My car is registered and has Texas plates as I haven't imported it into Canada (it's here like me, as a 'visitor') while I was waiting on my immigration paperwork. But now that plan is stopped as I am moving to europe (see post above).

Now, can I ship my car and household goods from Canada, or do I have to ship from the US (buffalo??). I can't seen to find an answer to this question online ...

-Gregg-

Oh yea, one other thing ... does anyone know if, or how long, I can drive my car, with Texas plates, in Europe. I saw a New York plated Land Rover while in Paris in November. talk about doing a double take while walking around! :surprised :surprised :surprised

I assume you just need to have an insurer who will and is willing to cover you within the EU.

Hi Gregg - If the US Customs did not do the usual search that they require 48 hours notice for export, the car is like you say, a guest. A quick call to any US Port of Entry office will be your best bet. It may only be a matter of shuffling paper. Their site is easy to find for information.

Gregg - After reading your question again I have a better answer. Your car is now in Canada but registered in the US. If you ship the car from Canada, it would be just as if you drove it across another border as their guest...but...In order to register it there, you still need a release from US Customs. Household items would be another matter since you are dealing with 2 other countries other than the US.

Gregg - After reading your question again I have a better answer. Your car is now in Canada but registered in the US. If you ship the car from Canada, it would be just as if you drove it across another border as their guest...but...In order to register it there, you still need a release from US Customs. Household items would be another matter since you are dealing with 2 other countries other than the US.

Just what I was thinking ... paperwork, dealing with 2 countries on the start and another one that is full of more paperwork on the other. This will be a fun time! What I am willing to do for my Z!

Gregg - The required paperwork for your car leaving the US is only to make sure there are no outstanding liens on it, or to make sure you didn't steal it. You are not far from the border, even if they require the presence of the car. You didn't steal it did ya?