IGNORED

Dash Repair Process/Pictures

BD240Z

That really looks great Kenny! It looks like you have achieved a very nice textured finish, that suits the car just fine. Even the guys spending the big bucks for proffesional recovering cannot get the texture exactly like the original. I have been considering doing mine before reinstalling it in the car. I don't have any cracks yet but looking closely, I can see where its only a matter of time, likely after the car is back on the road. Looking at a successful repair like yours, makes me feel better about attempting it myself. Thanks for the pics!

Wow Kenny! Spectacular. I get updates on this thread via email which previews the text but doesn't show pictures... well when I read 'Duplicolor truck bedliner' I was like, Geez what a bad idea. But boy was I wrong! That looks great and I can't wait do mine. Thanks for posting!

Excellent Kenny!

I'm assuming that the truck bed liner has more UV blockers since it's for exterior so that should wear really well and resist sun better than OEM.

Do you think you'll have a problem with cracking since it's on a flexible dash as opposed to a metal truck bed?

Looks like you used the spray can and not the roller from the evenness of the finish.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. Barring any direct blows to the dash, I think it will hold up well. I did use the spray can version of the Duplicolor truck bed liner and it went on kind of thick. Plus, I broke off quite a bit of the top of the dash by tapping with a hammer. The old vinyl was almost like an eggshell and it didn't take much pressure to crack it and peel it off.

After I repaired all the cracks with the foam and bumper repair epoxy I initially sprayed it with the SEM texture, but wasn't happy with the way it turned out. I followed the directions and held the can 18" inches or so from the surface, but it went on real dry and most of the texture rubbed off. So I sanded the dash back down and sprayed the bed liner on. The bed liner route also saves a step, as it has a nice semi-gloss black finish that looks good for the dash. Thus, there is no need to spray it with the SEM trim black.

Maybe with a bit more practice I could get the SEM texture to work. I'll be repairing another dash for my '73 240Z V8 project. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, excellent work guys! This whole thread is a huge inspiration! I currently have a dash out of my wrecked '81 280zx. That will be the test, for this project. It is sitting outside, as I think of where to start. It looks like I have a lot of different options. I may attempt the Dupli-Color bed liner, since my dash will be black. I am going for an all black interior in my '82 280zx slicktop.

• 3 months later...

Hi all...

Well, I too am diving into this repair process head first.

I had a full dash cap, but decided to try this repair process instead.

Napa does not stock the bumper repair material any more. They have a few floating around the US, but I decided to go a different route.

I am using SEM Flexible Polyester Glaze. The SEM part number is 39482. http://semproducts.com/Catalog.asp?prod=122

It will be interesting to see how this stands up compared to the other materials detailed in this thread.

Process to date...

- Beveled all large cracks and filled with Great Stuff foam. Small cracks will be filled with finish material.

- Cut down the foam using a thin piece of diamond coated cutting wire - worked great and made flush, clean cuts! I happen to work for the company that makes this material. ;)

- Applied first coat of SEM Polyester glaze. Filled and smoothed out well.

- Second coat applied. Smoothed out and feathered around the edges very well.

I have to apply the final filler coat this weekend and finish up the surface prep. There are still a few low spots that I need to finish up and the lines ofer the gauge arcuse are a PITA when you are out of practice doing body work! :D

Once this is done, I need to decide which "texture" I will go with. I am doing a COMPLETE interior color change to gray. I will be using the SEM color over the texture finish.

I hope to have this finished in 2 weeks or so. It all depends on how much time I have left after the spring "Honey-Do" lists are completed...

A couple of BAD cell phone pics attached. I have taken GOOD photos thrughout the process and will post them once the process is finished.

I LOVE these car forums!

Tim

post-16464-14150814298908_thumb.jpg

post-16464-14150814299622_thumb.jpg

post-16464-14150814300207_thumb.jpg

- Cut down the foam using a thin piece of diamond coated cutting wire - worked great and made flush, clean cuts! I happen to work for the company that makes this material.

Tim

Tim, hello.

So I did a quick google search for "diamond cutting wire colorado springs", and came up with a number of listings for Diamond Wire Material Technologies. Is this your employer? Can you provide more info. on what you used specifically, and if it's available to the general public?

Thanks,

Gary S.

Tim, hello.

So I did a quick google search for "diamond cutting wire colorado springs", and came up with a number of listings for Diamond Wire Material Technologies. Is this your employer? Can you provide more info. on what you used specifically, and if it's available to the general public?

Thanks,

Gary S.

Hi Gary - Yep - That is me... (don't own it - just work there!) :Dhttp://www.dmt-inc.com/

I just used a little bit of our scrapped material to do this. It slices through the foam "like buttah"... NOTE: It will cut through your skin the same way!

We do sell material to the public. However, it is usually done in volume orders for specific saws and cutting applications. The wire has 6 sizes ranging from 140 microns to 420 microns in thickness depending on the application.

If you are looking for some "official" uses for this material, I can link you up with the right folks.

If anybody is looking for this material, please shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to see if I can help.

Note - Somebody could also use a "wound" steel guitar string (maybe a "D" string) and get nearly the same result.

Thanks!

Tim

Edited by SSuspect

Yeah but my Martins & Gibsons are not the best cutting tools. :D

True, but some of the players can shred pretty good!

And i prefer a G-string

LOL! Me too, but I prefer so see somebody else using one rather than me! ROFL

Edited by SSuspect