IGNORED

Dash Repair Process/Pictures

BD240Z

WOW!!

Great job. I am a big fan of SEM products. You did an amazing job.

I would have never thought to use Great Stuff to fix a Dash.

I guess my Dad was wrong.

He always told me there are only two things you need in your tool box.

1.) Duct Tape - If it moves and it's not supposed to... Apply Duct Tape

2.) WD40 - If it doesnt move and it is supposed to... Spray WD40

I guess now you can add:

3.) Great Stuff - If it cracks fill it with Great Stuff

Excellent job of blending in the contours and applying the finish!!! My guess is that with exposure to the regular exspansion and contractions of heating and cooling, you will likely start seeing cracks develope in or next to the repaired areas over time. In the event this does happen, just purchase a full dash cap ($100.00) and put it on. Nice work however!

Tom

Very sharp for what you have in it! Looks better than it cost!

Now for the real tests, time, heat, and UV.

You are in agood spot for all three!

Will

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Yep, this repair has to pass the test of time here in the desert proving grounds. By this time next year I'll have an initial idea on how well this will holdup.

Since I plan on keeping THIS Z for the rest of my life, I'll post if/when the fateful day occurs, I realize it's probably only a matter of time. My plan "B" is a Dashcap.

Bruce

I'm impressed, especially as the cracks in your dash were huge, much larger than in the two Series I dashes I have. I might have to give this a try. I have a full dash cap standing by, but might try your method first. Thanks for posting. Gary D.

• 4 months later...

Simon,

The dash looks the same as when I made the repairs back in November. I'd take some pictures but the car is masked for painting, (again!).

Our winter weather lows range from the mid 30's to the low 40's at night but the car is stored in my garage so it never got exposed to the cold.

The real test is coming up because the "mean" season is right around the corner. I'll post what happens to the dash sometime this fall.

It's an economical repair in both time and money, you might want to just go for it!

Bruce

G'Day All

I have the original dash from my 1973 car in my garage. It was replaced with another some time ago. I have been wondering how to repair the original dash.

Being located in regional Australia could present a problem, but can someone enlighten me on what can be done to "renew" the old one. I could then have it ready for the inevitble replacement of the current dash.

I would not have the skills that Bruce has shown in doing his dash!!!

Thanks for your help in anticipation.

Regards, Jack