IGNORED

Dash Repair Process/Pictures

BD240Z

OK... Got to put some good time into the dash this weekend. Here are a couple of teasers. Coming along NICELY! But, it has been a "project" to say the least. :tapemouth

I will post a full writeup once it is done and back in the car (another week or two). Until then, here is a "work in progress" comparison. Initial ""before and after" pics.

The white color is a plastic primer. Using it to find highs and lows. Will be sanded off tomorrow night (I am on a mission now!). I still have a couple of small areas to finish (around center gauge and hazard switch). Should get these done this week. I would like to have the new texture finish applied by next weekend if I can.

Thanks,

Tim

post-16464-14150814393035_thumb.jpg

post-16464-14150814393368_thumb.jpg

Looking good, Tim. Did you use anything to reinforce the backside of the dash in the areas with the holes (center pod area in your pic)? I fiberglassed the backside of the dash I repaired where it was cracked completely through.

From your previous pics it looks like the polyester glazing putty works well for the repair. Keep the photos coming!

Looking good, Tim. Did you use anything to reinforce the backside of the dash in the areas with the holes (center pod area in your pic)? I fiberglassed the backside of the dash I repaired where it was cracked completely through.

From your previous pics it looks like the polyester glazing putty works well for the repair. Keep the photos coming!

Thanks Kenny. Great input!

Since the dash is still out, I should at least throw some resin and a couple of glass strips on the bottom side. I currently have Gorilla Tape under there. It sticks well, but is definitely temporary.

The polyester is working well and is easy to work with. Longevity? We'll have to wait and see. LOL

The attached pictures are of the white plastic primer after it was just sprayed and still wet (will be sanded off). But you get the idea. Again, bad cell phone pics, but it is coming out nicely. The "body work" up top is complete. Still need to address a few other issues with the dash before I finish it.

MY GARAGE (AND EVERYTHING IN IT) IS COVERED WITH SANDING DUST (look at the Z in the background!)! It will take a good weekend to clean all of this stuff up!

Thanks again!

Tim

post-16464-14150814435465_thumb.jpg

post-16464-1415081443616_thumb.jpg

Edited by SSuspect

Well here are a few pics of my repair. I actually did two dashes however I haven't put the final coat on the second one. I used metal screws and cut the head off them and then carfeully worked them in. It gave the foam something to attach itself to, or that's the train of thought anyway. NOTE to all who attempt...BE PATIENT! Not difficult

post-19498-14150814436814_thumb.jpg

post-19498-14150814437425_thumb.jpg

post-19498-14150814438094_thumb.jpg

post-19498-14150814438667_thumb.jpg

Dashboard Repair.doc

• 3 weeks later...

Well... I went ahead and pulled the harness and everything out of the dash. Tried to avoid it, but I can't help but to dig deeper and get everything done at the same time rather than to re-do it later...

The dash is ready for final finish and final color. All "body/finish" work is done!

I painted (almost) all metal surfaces with flat black rust encapsulant. This stuff is thick and does not lay out smoothly, but it is a great coating! It is behind the dash and will not be visible anyway. I will paint the last areas when the dash is installed and all grounds are in place. I also applied 2 layers of fiberglass to the underside of the gauge area. I hope this helps with future cracking issues (thanks for the tip Kenny!). I also need to paint the area on top of the dash where the air vents come through, but will wait to do this after the rest is finished.

Regardless, I will most likely end up with a carpeted "Dashmat" to help keep the dash safer in the future. Too much work into this to let it get messed up!

I am hoping to have the dash finished (final color in place and all gauges installed) and back into the car in about 2 weeks.

I will post an update when there is something worth posting. :D

Thanks,

Tim

post-16464-14150814597083_thumb.jpg

post-16464-14150814597373_thumb.jpg

post-16464-14150814597578_thumb.jpg

Edited by SSuspect
More Info

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I've been following this thread for a while. I'm going to be doing this repair soon. Must admit, this is probably THE best thread I've found. I've always hated the fact that I was going to have to use a dash cover since I didn't want to pay the crazy dash restore prices. This fix is something I can do and live with. NICE JOB!!!!

Finally got some time to kick this into gear! I just finished the color coat about 2 hours ago.

Yes - I know that it is not black. Yes, I know that this is not traditional. But, I am not restoring the car to OE anyway. The entire interior is changing to gray. I like "different". ;)

Finished up the bodywork and sprayed it with the SEM texture coating. It went on fairly dry and had some high spots. I knocked it all down with 400 and then applied 3 coats of SEM "Presidio Gray" Flexible Color Coat.

I am VERY happy with the results! There is some minor variation in the finish in different areas, but it is not something 98% of the people would notice.

Speedhut speedometer and tach will be here next week.

I will post more as it goes into the car.

Thanks,

Tim

One "before" and several "after" shots.

post-16464-14150814782552_thumb.jpg

post-16464-14150814782255_thumb.jpg

post-16464-14150814782787_thumb.jpg

post-16464-1415081478299_thumb.jpg

post-16464-14150814783197_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update...

Speedhut gauges are installed. Wiring harnesses are in place, but I need to adapt all of the new gauges and sending units. Then I need to install of the air ducts. I am hoping to have the dash back in the car within the next 2 weeks...

I know that a lot of folks here are not crazy about the interior color change and gauge changes, but it is coming out VERY nice. Can't wait to get everything put back into the car. I do these things for me and really do not follow the crowds too much... :devious:

Tim

post-16464-14150815123007_thumb.jpg

I know that a lot of folks here are not crazy about the interior color change and gauge changes, but it is coming out VERY nice.

Indeed it is Tim. It's your car, make sure that YOU are happy with it. Who gives a frack what others think.

Thanks guys. I definitely don't worry too much about what others think. It is all about me! LOL

Kenny - I have "almost" all of the pics to do a full writeup. Got impatient toward the end and did not take the final pics. I only missed the part where I mount the metal gauge cups back to the rear of the plastic cups. I can talk you through it.

I am only using the Speedhut speedo and tach. I am not using the stock plastic lens. I did not like the look and had issues fitting everything. I am sure that it can be done and keep the lenses.

I will take more pics of the rear of the dash and wiring harness later this week.

Cliff notes...

- White 4" plastic caps from plumbing section at Home Depot. For sprinkler line - not regular ABS.

- Cut out solid part of cap to gauge diameter and cut cup to gauge depth

- Install Speedhut lock TIGHTLY ring into trimmed white cap (Note - ring is tapered - install THIN SIDE IN)

- Screw gauge into cap and tighten - mark top center for alignment in gauge cup

- Place into gauge cup and align as needed - hold with tape

- Mark points on plastic cap that align with the metal tabs on the metal gauge backing cup. These areas will need to be ground down in order to clear tabs

- Unscrew gauge and paint plastic cap black (keep paint out lock ring of threads)

- Install gauge back into painted cap

- Install into plastic gauge cup

- Install metal backing cup and tighten small factory screws

- Install into dash

See attached pics. Definitely trial and error, but they came out nice and they are solid! I will add more later or will start an entire install thread.

Thanks Tim

post-16464-14150815123346_thumb.jpg

post-16464-14150815123666_thumb.jpg

post-16464-1415081512391_thumb.jpg

post-16464-1415081512415_thumb.jpg

post-16464-14150815124446_thumb.jpg

post-16464-14150815124797_thumb.jpg

post-16464-14150815125135_thumb.jpg

Edited by SSuspect

• 1 month later...

I am glad that i found this site. I will be repairing my own dash now. It cost 2500.00 for a new dash and no way that i want to pay that much for it. I have a 79 280zx and will keep it till my son takes it from my cold dead hands.