IGNORED

Front License Plates

Found this on ODOT regarding Auto License Plates:

803.525 Number of plates issued. The Department of Transportation shall issue two registration plates for every vehicle that is registered by the department except as otherwise provided in this section. Upon renewal or when otherwise provided under ORS 803.555, the department may issue stickers in lieu of or in addition to registration plates. The following shall be issued plates as described:

(1) Only one registration plate shall be issued for a moped, motorcycle, trailer, antique vehicle or vehicle of special interest registered by the department.

(2) Only one plate shall be issued for a camper that is registered. Stickers may be issued in lieu of a plate. [1983 c.338 §258; 1985 c.668 §12; 1989 c.43 §27; 1991 c.407 §28; 1993 c.741 §119a; 2001 c.25 §1; 2003 c.655 §114]

Then I found the definition for Antique Vehicle and Special Interest:

Antique Vehicle Plate:

Issued to a vehicle that is older than one-half the number of years between the current year and 1900. Vehicle must be maintained as a collector’s item.

Special Interest Plate:

Issued to a vehicle that is maintained as a collector’s item and is at least 25 years old at time of application or vehicle sanctioned as a vehicle of special interest by an established organization that provides for recognition or is a street rod as defi ned by ORS 801.513. Vehicle may only be used for exhibitions, parades, club activities and similar uses. Owner of vehicle may use old, out-ofseries plate(s), a current-issue plate or DMV may issue plates as pictured. DMV must view and approve any plate used by the owner.

DMV will provide a permanent “Special Interest” sticker for plates in current use.

Ref:

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/vehicle/plateregular.shtml#antique

FWIW

E

This post has been promoted to an article

Found this on ODOT regarding Auto License Plates:

--- Snip! ---

All very true. Some parts of Oregon don't enforce the front plate requirement. Or I should say, they enforce it selectively. In my area there are no red-light-runner cameras (more's the pity, it's getting pretty bad down here), so I can get away with no plate on the front of my family car. Then again, I'm a middle-aged caucasian male driving a conservatively-colored BMW sedan, so I'm unlikely to be stopped period. Sad, but true.

The drawback to the Special interest plates in Oregon are the rather severe restrictions as to when and how much you can drive the car. And again, while the police probably won't bother you, your insurance company might have issues paying a claim on a car registered as a Special Interest vehicle if it clearly was being used outside the SI rules. So that's out for me.

I'll undoubtedly hang my front plate off the bumper, just like they did in the '70s. I may get a vintage set of blue plates for it, but not as Special Interest.

• 2 weeks later...