IGNORED

Looking for Appliance Wheel center caps

rtaylor

• 1 month later...

The guy that had the appliance center caps raised his price to $300. Way too crazy for me. As Ron said in an earlier post, he used Eagle center caps. I finally found some at Masseys in Oklahoma, (405) 239-2010. $39 plus $10 for shipping. They also had the correct lug nuts with a .55" long shaft @ $1.25 each. Washers were a quarter. So this is what my wheels look like now. Not too bad, me thinks

post-9967-14150798537589_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello, I'm brand new here and realize this is fairly old thread. I'm wondering if the set of wheels I found for my car are made by Appliance? I have attached a picture.

I'm confused because I thought all Appliance wheels used the two piece 'roto' lug nuts, but the ones I have look like the ones pictured in this thread and they seem to take a straight shank lug nut with flat washer instead of the stepped washer roto types. Can anyone confirm the type of lug nuts these wheels used, and were there other manufacturers who made wheels that look just like these?

Thanks,

Robert

post-18803-14150806341342_thumb.jpg

No, those are Appliances, for certain. I've got two sets (8 wheels) just like them. (Still looking for 3 more of those funny little angled valve stems. PM me if you have any to spare!) Your wheels may or may not have the Appliance logo cast in the back side, depending on production date. Mine don't have the logo, but do say 'JAPAN' cast in the back. (Many of the early Wire Mags were cast under contract in Japan. Later wheels were cast in California.)

Appliance went to Roto-Lugs in the mid-to-late '70s. Prior to that they used relatively normal mag shank lug nuts, the only oddity was that the shanks were a bit shorter than typical - 0.55". So yours are the earlier style, that's all. There are still a couple of suppliers for these medium shank lug nuts, or some people just use normal mag shank nuts with double washers.

Thanks Arne! I don't have any of the angled valve stems, but I found these on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260361777469&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=

EDIT: says Mr Gasket but does not give a part no.

Would those work? (I have no idea what the valve stem diameter is) Also, given that large lip on the egde of the rim should I not trust mounting and such to any old tire shop? I'm a little concerned about the condition of my valve stems, cause I aired up one of the tires and it did not seem to hold air more than 48 hours, but tires came used with the rims. While they have good tread I may need to have them checked and possibly have stem(s) replaced.

Thanks again for the info. on the lug nuts.

Edited by zgermans