IGNORED

Seat foam

bobs77

Anyone know if the replacement seat foam for a 240 seat will also fit a 280 seat? I'm ordering a seat cover kit from Les Cannaday at Classic Datsun and need to replace the foam on the drivers seat. The foam they carry is only specified for 240 seats.

I decided to replace my 240 foam while I had new vinyl put on from Les. Something to think about is the new foam will make you sit 3 inches higher in the seat and make your head hit the ceiling if your 5' 10" or taller and won't hug your body anymore......however the new vinyl is fantastic looking!

I decided to replace my 240 foam while I had new vinyl put on from Les. Something to think about is the new foam will make you sit 3 inches higher in the seat and make your head hit the ceiling if your 5' 10" or taller and won't hug your body anymore......however the new vinyl is fantastic looking!

That would be a problem, I'm 6'. Never thought of that. I'll check with Les on it tomorrow. Thanks for the warning.

• 3 months later...

Sledz is right--the new foam does make you sit up higher. I'm 6', and after installing the new foam I had about 1/8" clearance between my head and the ceiling. I ended up using the foam from the passenger seat in the driver's seat--nice cross between the old driver's seat foam and the new foam--and putting the new foam in the passenger seat.

Bobs77,

Sorry if this only appiles to 240s, but my 240Z seats have plastic adjuster nuts on them to alter the seat height...Have you removed yours to lower the seat onto the rail? May help if you have them...

After installing my new foams and vinyls, I can say the new stuff is substantially more comfortable than the original. It fully fills out the vinyl, making for a nice, taut, like new appearance.

Steve

Xray--I know what you mean. I used to have a '72 and used that adjustment to make the seat height fit me. Unfortunately the 280's don't have it.

Just switching from the old, sagging 30 year old driver's seat foam to the passenger's seat foam has made a nice improvement. And now both seat bottoms have the "tuck" near the front of the seat--looks and feels much better than what I started with.

Bob

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

How hard was it to install the vinyl over the new seat foam? My vinyl is in really good shape, however the foam could be upgraded. Would the existing vinyl go back on the new foam from classic datsun, or is the replacement vinyl larger...or does this even make sense.

Thanks

"I'm ordering a seat cover kit from Les Cannaday at Classic Datsun and need to replace the foam on the drivers seat."

You should be able to have Les get the foam for you as well. The company that makes it is Distinctive Industries. You can check their web site for your application.

I am 6'2" and yes you do sit taller but to the earlier posts check for spaces. Also you might take a look at the webbing. It too will sag over time but you can either replace it or tighten it up by repositioning the hog ring.

As far as installation the only tools you will need (it will make it much easier) is get a pair of hog ring pliers and some extra rings. You will need to use them during the re-assembly. The job is not complicated or difficult.

Good luck.

"I'm ordering a seat cover kit from Les Cannaday at Classic Datsun and need to replace the foam on the drivers seat."

You should be able to have Les get the foam for you as well. The company that makes it is Distinctive Industries. You can check their web site for your application.

He knows, If you read all of his post he is going to get the foam from Les, and was asking if the 240 foam could be used on a 280 seat base, because they only list the 240 seat foam.