IGNORED

Waking the sleeping beast?

Mike , welcome . Sounds like you hit the mother load. Like Carl said take this one step at a time. I know you are anxious to hear the engine run , but try and rain in the excitement. The same with jumping in and changing the hood or looks of the car. Get her on the road , make her safe first , then enjoy what you have . Then get involved in how you want the car to be. Believe me you will be glad you did. I live in the Cedar Mill area of Ptln , and I hope to meet you at the PIR show . I wont be able to make this next one , but Scanlon hits them all. All the best , Gary 240 driver

Are all gas tanks the same on early cars? I am sure that mine would need cleaning, but there is a tank available from a 74' 260z on craigslist that has been boiled and repainted very recently. I can get it for less than I would pay to clean up my tank. My question is, is it the same tank?

Oh, and i will look into coming to the car show on Wednesday, we will have to see how well I do with replacing the fuel system tonight...

Bring the car ONLY if it's ready for the road. Like Gary and Carl have said, take it one step at a time.

As far as the fuel tanks, I don't believe so, by the time you reach the 260 there have been enough undercarriage changes to nullify the swap. Im sure others will chime in, but AFAIK that one isn't possible.

It is possible though to remove, flush and POR the inside and outside of the tank during a weekend.

E

Oh, I can guarantee that the car won't be there this week. I was thinking about coming just to look, but there is no way this car will be on the road reliably for a least a couple weeks. I have brakes to do, some rust to clean up, and the engine is still a giant unknown. I would like to make the engine run first. If I find that the engine is toast, I would consider selling the car. If the engine runs, its a keeper for sure.

Enigma, just to ==hehe== rub it in a bit, I'll take several pics looking down the rows of cars. I usually take one or two pics of the truly unique and rare vehicles that show up.

In fact, check the original post I made for the Beaches Cruise In in the Regional Forums, and you'll see just a few. Once I get done with chores, I'll upload a bunch of unique cars that will get a few people wanting to come.

E

Mike;

From the pictures E has sent me, first chance I get I am going to PIR. It is three hours from here. Also, some great guys to hang with and just ask questions. They also have some really nice 240s.

Sorry guys, I won't make it this week. I want to start detailing the car a bit before my wife sees the car for the first time on Saturday. I figure the cleaner and more complete it looks, the more she will like it. I'm thinking of making this her car eventually, so I have to try to get her to like it!

Sorry guys, I won't make it this week.

Well, consider it a standing invitation.

I want to start detailing the car a bit before my wife sees the car for the first time on Saturday. I figure the cleaner and more complete it looks, the more she will like it. I'm thinking of making this her car eventually, so I have to try to get her to like it!

:cheeky: Uh-huh, go ahead, and if she believes that one (like none of us have ~ever~ tried that line), I can get you a real good deal on some exclusive beach front property in Arizona.ROFL

E

Well, consider it a standing invitation.

:cheeky: Uh-huh, go ahead, and if she believes that one (like none of us have ~ever~ tried that line), I can get you a real good deal on some exclusive beach front property in Arizona.ROFL

E

Yeah, I suppose well have to see about that...

Heck, after last nights cleaning, I might change MY mind. This car is looking like it fits me too well to give to her!

I started with this,

IMG_0100.jpg

And with some cleaning, and washing, and vacuuming, it now looks like this. Besides the dozen cracks in the dash, the interior is suprisingly complete and intact. I am very pleased. :classic:

IMG_0104.jpg

...snip...Heck, after last nights cleaning, I might change MY mind. This car is looking like it fits me too well to give to her!...snip...

See there you go again....your mind isn't going to change. You got the car for YOU and not for your wife...LOL.

You might try to get her to believe that, but amongst all of us here, many of whom have tried and bluntly, failed with that line, it won't hide the truth.:smoke:

Face it, you've been bitten by the Z bug. Denial will only lead to even further explanations that are as clear as mud but do cover the ground and later you'll have the big mess to clean up.:paranoid:

Sometimes being bluntly truthful about something is exactly the way to go.

Here's a story to illustrate:

I recall one time I walked into a lingerie store and was walking around the aisles. One of the saleswomen, a very pretty and shapely young lady, asked me " May I help you find something?"

To which I answered, "I'll know what I want when I see it", as I held up a very filmy piece of clothing.

Her eyes squinted a bit, and then she asked in a whisper "Is this for your wife or ....?" and didn't finish the sentence. I presume that she was asking if it was for my wife or girlfriend, but I said "Oh, it's for me!" :cheeky:

Her eyebrows jumped :eek: , but very calmly and professionally she mentioned that the piece I was holding up might be a ~bit~ small for me, and proceeded to pull up something in what she gauged to be "my" size. :tapemouth

That's when I stopped her hand reaching into the bin and said "It is for ME to ENJOY, and for my WIFE to WEAR.":classic:

The look on her face was priceless:nervous: , and she then proceeded to show me those items that she considered to be exceptionately alluring, even to the extent of draping them over her body for me to admire. :love:

At the checkout, when I handed her my credit card I asked what she would have done if it HAD been something for me. That's when she replied with a very obvious conspiratorial wink, "We can ~always~ find something to please!":devious:

Which will no doubt lead to howls of inane comments, but not only did I find something that really .... titillated ... the shopping experience, it also proved quite ... profitable ... at home.

So, the point of this story is simple. Don't try to BS your wife that the car is "for her". You'd sooner get her to believe a full set of Metric Sockets / Rachets and Wrenches was her anniversary present. (And be careful with that one, or you might find that she starts buying YOU Bra's and High-Heel Shoes....in her size.)

Instead, show her what a fun and enjoyable car this is. Show her that this is something you plan to sincerely, methodically and systematically plan to complete and you won't need to "fool" her into believing the car is hers.

Trust me on this. the LAST thing your wife wants for you to bring home is yet another project that is going to ....DIE.... in the middle of it's being completed. The last two Z's I bought were ...Dead Projects. Something someone started and just never followed through to completion.

Remember, if she is what one would consider a "stereotypical" female, (and apologies to the female members of this forum who have risen above the stereotypes), she is, flatly and bluntly, as interested in your new car as you are in how the lingerie you bought for her last Valentine's Day fit her. That is, you bought the lingerie for what YOU imagined it would do FOR YOU, and not for HER comfort. The same with the car, you got it for YOU, and not for her. If you try to fool her, she'll see right through your plot and sink your dreams before you can even THINK of getting started.

To those that would protest my use of allegorical similitudes, I would ask that you examine the message and not the medium.

FWIW

E