IGNORED

280z Tach in '72 Scarab conversion

540Z

Hi Folks,

I am having a heck of a time trying to find out info on how to make a '77 280z tach work in a 1972 240z Scarab convert. The vehicle has a 327 Chevy motor with an Accel 71000 series Magnetic Breakerless (Hall effect) distributor and an Accel Super Coil, model 140001, no HEI module, and a large gap in the wiring harness where the old tach hooked up. I still have the old tach, but I don't think it is good for anything but the housing. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

If you have the JTR V8 conversion book it does talk about how you go about using a stock tach in a V8 Z and how to make it read correctly. I dont remember what it says exactly (I dont have the book with me right this second) but it does give instructions on this.

He's the link to their site if youre interested

http://www.jagsthatrun.com

I've read the JTR section on tach conversion. The author has the unit hooked up to a GM HEI distributor and coil. I am not familiar enough with the HEI system (which I don't have) to know what that system is comprised of. I have been testing the tach on a frequency generator and have had only marginal success in making it operate, but I know the part did work fine when I removed it form my parts car.

• 2 weeks later...

540Z,

I recently got a NOS Scarab kit and in it was an adaptor kit for the 240Z tach. Has the instructions, a ballast resistor, small circuit board and a coil. I have a 280Z so I won't need it. Make me a decent offer and it's yours.

Thanks,

Z

• 5 years later...