IGNORED

Another MSD problem.

andrewgore

My brother and I an effort to simplify our 280z'z wiring have removed most of the stock ignition parts. We have replaced them with an MSD6a, 8920, Mallory coil, and the stock magnetic pickup that came on our 77 280z.

We have the fuel injector pulse wire hooked up via the blue line.

We have the smaller gauge red line from the MSD going to the ignition panel we are using.

We have the smaller gauge red line from the 8920 going to the ignition panel we are using.

We basically have the stock key in the ignition and it’s always on wired up and away. We use a master on off switch because it’s a race car so we do not have to have the key functioning in any way.

Here is the problem the car will stay running if the ignition stays on. As soon as you kill the starter the car dies. What circuit don’t we have fulltime power too?

Grr this is frustrating.

I have the wiring diagram, and I have everything laid out in front of me.

Thanks in advance for any help given to this subject. The person(s) who come up with a solution get a free 12oz bag of coffee from my company Simple-Coffee.com

Thanks,

Josh

Hello.

You would need to connect together the two wires that used to hook up to stock coil resister to make a circuit loop. Without these two wires hooked up (I think they are both black but dont remember), you can fire up the car but wont idle (due to un-looped circuit). Thats why when the ignition is at "Start" position the car starts like you said but as soon as you release the key it dies.

Hope it helps.

Hello.

You would need to connect together the two wires that used to hook up to stock coil resister to make a circuit loop. Without these two wires hooked up (I think they are both black but dont remember), you can fire up the car but wont idle (due to un-looped circuit). Thats why when the ignition is at "Start" position the car starts like you said but as soon as you release the key it dies.

Hope it helps.

Thank you so much PM me your address if you want some coffee check our website pick one out.

Josh

Ok, The wires that connect to the resistor by the coil are as follows:

white\black from (or possibly black\white) + coil to resistor

blue - coil to "junction post" on resistor

black\white on far end of resistor up to ignition

Black\blue center resistor to condensor

black\blue center resistor to ignition.

Are we connecting the two black\blue wires there?

Also, what is the little condensor deal? Looks like it just goes to a ground, is it the little item that looks like the coil deal from a power inverter?

Thanks for the help. Very much appreciated :)

Andrew

edit: LOL, my brother postd on his computer before i could on mine. LOL thanks again though :)

Ok so we replaced the starter after basically killing it from all the testing.

We then rewired the MSD based upon information on this forum and the directions from the MSD site.

I am still confused it wont start unless the starter is engaged. So if the starter is engaged it works fine.

Grr frustrating.

The 8920 will not produce the right signal needed to send to the ECU on a 77 280z with the magnetic pickup.

The 8910 despite the advice from MSD and from search's on this forum WILL work if put inline with the coil wire from the MSD 6a. So red wire on the 8910 goes to the orange coil wire. White wire on the 8910 goes to the blue wire that runs to the ecu.

If anyone has any questions about wiring a 77 280z up without using the transistor ignition AT ALL. Please let me know! I will do my best to help

Josh+Andrew

If anyone has any questions about wiring a 77 280z up without using the transistor ignition AT ALL. Please let me know! I will do my best to help

You can take the signal wires from the distributor and run them to the Magnetic Pickup pigtail with the violet and green wire connector. Then you can wire it just like the diagram at the top of page 11 in the manual. RED + battery, BLACK - battery, orange + coil, black - coil, red switched power, distributor wires to the violet and green. Completely eliminates the factory module, which I believe was big and bulky and located inside the car IIRC. Should work just fine.

• 1 year later...
You can take the signal wires from the distributor and run them to the Magnetic Pickup pigtail with the violet and green wire connector. Then you can wire it just like the diagram at the top of page 11 in the manual. RED + battery, BLACK - battery, orange + coil, black - coil, red switched power, distributor wires to the violet and green. Completely eliminates the factory module, which I believe was big and bulky and located inside the car IIRC. Should work just fine.

I'm going to dig up this topic even though it is ancient.

This doesn't work for me.

I've got a '77 280Z and I wired it exactly as you and the manual say. I'm using the magnetic pickup from my distributor, battery + and - are connected, small red wire has +12V ignition source, and coil + and - are connected. The white wire is not used.

Now for the problem... It won't stay running. It will start up, then sputters out right away.

Any suggestions?

• 6 years later...

msd6a wired with 8920 tach adapt. to my 280zx power 240Z fire's ,but will not run (Idle)white tach-output not installed,do I have to connect this so the ecu can trigger & run EFI. Spark yes! Fuel & spark in Start mod, yes! ! fuel & spark in run mod,yes. I have removed E12-80 ign.mod.Trying to -get engine to run only on MSD ignition Real world help ???? mag pick-up Green & red Msd violet & green. GRN 2 RED, VIOLET 2 GREEN polarity correct YES ?

msd6a wired with 8920 tach adapt. to my 280zx power 240Z fire's ,but will not run (Idle)white tach-output not installed,do I have to connect this so the ecu can trigger & run EFI. Spark yes! Fuel & spark in Start mod, yes! ! fuel & spark in run mod,yes. I have removed E12-80 ign.mod.Trying to -get engine to run only on MSD ignition Real world help ???? mag pick-up Green & red Msd violet & green. GRN 2 RED, VIOLET 2 GREEN polarity correct YES ?

Start a new thread and fill the first post with complete sentences.  Yes?

I installed MSD 6A unit & 8920 tach adapt To my 240z with 79 280zx engine. as per instructions. the white tach output lead from 8920 is not hooked up.car has factory tach,but is dead.Engine fires, but won't run (idle) do i have the wrong tach adapter,or should i run system thur stk.ignition E12-80.Replaced 3 of these in the last 4 months' Car ran great for 3+ years.