IGNORED

Fitting an aftermarket steering wheel

Alfadog

Excellent mustadd!! Good to see you posting here too :)

That is the one. And it is indeed not touching. I fiddled with it just then and yeah, there is a problem. I either have to find some metal rings to tack onto the existing one on the back of the hub, or somehow extend that little contact out so it touches. I'd rather modify the hub than the car, but finding rings the same size might be difficult.

Unless someone has another (brighter) idea :)

P.S. I didn't get your PM Adrian

The hub adaptor cant be pushed in more to be able to touch the contact?

if not

quick idea...

get some metal shims there are pre-cut ones already measure that if it fits otherwise just get sheets and you can cut some.

Then maybe drill some holes and screw it in on the back of the hub but the screw must be in not extending out of the ring otheriwise it will stuff things up.

Hey Razor, yeah that is what I am planning on doing. Unfortunately the price for a cutting circle the size I need is about $30, ouch! The smaller ones are a lot cheaper but apparently if you go this large, it's a professional tool. Might try to get someone to cut some spacers/washers for me.

try a machinist or engineer place that shouldnt cost a lot

I recently got a new drag link/centre rod made up for my ute and the cost was reasonable.

We use metal shims at work but they're narrow strips I could've pinch some for you hehehe.

hmm.. i had the exact same issue...

The original hub that i bought was an autotechnica one, and i was assured that it would fit the 240K.... pulled the steering wheel off and .... no... the blinker cancel posts were too wide...

i ended up buying a 2nd hand momo one (atleast it is meant to be, it came in a momo box :) which seems to have the correct post spacing, though i havn't tried it.

but yeah, as you said, the metal ring on the hub, should be in contact with the post for the button power (grounded through column), as the wheel spins, it still sits on that post, if the metal collar isn't far enough down.. it won't connect..

i ended up buying the 2nd one from ebay for under $50.. so maybe that would be easier and you will know it will work (i think there were 2 types of datsun ones from memory.)

hey guys, just picked up a 240K a few weeks ago and have started turning it into a 'project', run into my first problem today... i cant figure out how to get the original steering wheel off, have a boss kit and MOMO wheel ready to go on but yeah... no good until i get the original off!

could someone please point me in the right direction???

thanks for the help!

congrats on the car!

fi it is the std wheel, the centre horn pad should twist off from memory, something like a 1/4 turn in one direction..

once you get that off, there is a metal plate that you need to unscrew, and then you will see a big nut. take off this nut...

now the fun begins.. unless you have a steering wheel puller (which are not cheap), just sit in the car and pull as HARD as you can on the wheel (don't use short blows as this can damage the steering column if it is collapseable).

eventually it should pop right off, be careful you don't knock yourself out doing it though, many a person has!

as lochlan and i found out, double check the spacing of the cancelling tabs on your new boss with the old one.. if it is not right then you will have some BIG issues.. you will need to get the right type. post up some pis of your car and your new wheel when done!

Kent

Disconnect your battery first too :) When you are pulling the horn pad off, you have to push it down and then twist anti-clockwise. It will come off easily.

My wheel came off reasonably easily which was a surprise. I was just amazed at the cleanliness of everything there... all the components looked brand new. I almost felt bad taking it all apart...

And yeah, let's see your car!!!

BTW Here are some pictures of the wheel installed (haven't got the horn working yet, but I have a plan).

post-1243-1415079785498_thumb.jpg

post-1243-14150797855306_thumb.jpg

cheers for the help guys, all easy when u know what you're doing! woulda taken me forever to try twisting the horn pad, i wanted to mangle it with a screwdriver :)

and yeah, disconnected the battery (after hitting the horn numerous times!) will take some pics tomorrow, horned doesnt work but i'm not fussed about that, donno about the indicators yet as the car doesnt have any interior besides the dash so i cant take it for a test drive, waiting to get my race seats, hehe

Lachlan,

See if you can fit a small spring over the post. It looks like there's a groove in the middle of the post that will hold the spring. Just make sure to get something soft, like brass and not stainless steel.

The wheel looks great! Better than when it was in my car. Must be that stainless finish dash.