IGNORED

Instrument Panel Modification

Alfadog

With a little luck you can get away with the 0-90 ohm sender version.

I haven't yet checked the full range but a stock 240K system gives 1/2 full on the guage with 33 ohms between sender wire (yellow) and ground.

Using a 36 ohm gives a very slightly higher reading and I would be VERY surprised if the guage system is anything like linear.

Should have a tank out of a K soon so I'll check then and post it.

Thanks Art, i read last night in the service manual that it was 33ohms in the middle, but i wasn't sure if that was linear either.

I would appreciate it if you could have a look for me, fingers crossed that it would certainly save messing around trying to mount the autometer float

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

i finally got sick of my faux wood contact paper dash so am in the middle of peeling it off

very time consuming

i'm using a small, flathead screwdriver to cut through and lift up the faux wood, then i scrape up the excess adhesive and clean it off with goo remover

anyway, seeing the brushed aluminum dash kits on fleabay gave me the idea to search for the stuff in bulk sheets

here it is available online: alsacorp

just cut to fit, remove the backing and apply

similar stuff is said to be available at certain home improvement stores, so i'll check that out as well

either way, i'll post a reply when mine is done

• 2 months later...

i wonder if the faux-wood stuff can be simply steamed off? they make household steam cleaners. i imagine this is similar an operation to removing wall paper, so i would look into wall paper removing techniques as well. that is essentially what the wood stuff is.

• 11 months later...
With a little luck you can get away with the 0-90 ohm sender version.

I haven't yet checked the full range but a stock 240K system gives 1/2 full on the guage with 33 ohms between sender wire (yellow) and ground.

Using a 36 ohm gives a very slightly higher reading and I would be VERY surprised if the guage system is anything like linear.

Should have a tank out of a K soon so I'll check then and post it.

What ohms Fuel guage should I buy to match the original sender?

I've just had my tank cut and welded to fit in between the strut towers in the boot and have also purchased a nos fuel sender unit so I want to get it right. My original guage would only go to half way when full.

Cheers Andrew

you need to have a look at your new sender and see what that specifies.

did you get any baffling put into the tank while it was apart?

i bought a 73 empty -10 full autometer 4715 carbon one (for ford/chrysler), i havn't tested it though to see how accurate it is.. i probably should but i havn't.. i can't remember why i didn't go with 0-90.. there must have been another post about it on here..

i guess i really should test that or maybe i have already, and completely forgotten about it.. i swear i have a 3kb brain!

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't get any baffels put in it, I seem to remember that it had baffels in it when I peered inside. I must have the same 3kb brain as you.

Have you tested your fuel sender yet? I couldn't find any relative info on the sender unit that would tell me what to get, guess I'll actually have to read the workshop manual.

I still haven't picked up my tank from the welders yet so can't check the baffels. will do shortly.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Old thread! I did some work on this over the weekend and from what I can see the corrosion under the wood grain is a common thing. It appears that the stainless has been neutral anodized perhaps. I used gun wash to remove the wood grain, thinners would do the same. Soaking the part turns the wood grain into a balloon like rubber which just lifts off. There is not other way to remove this stuff, it's very durable and needs to be removed chemically.

Using 1500 Wet & Dry or 3M steel pad you can refinish the alloy. I'm thinking of making a mitre box and fixing the steel pad to the base the passing the metal piece through to keep the brushed finish uniform. I'll experiment of this piece and then do it again on another panel I have.

I'll probably get the piece neutral anodized again when it's done. I'll post some pics up in my build thread.

Edited by Adzmax

• 1 month later...