IGNORED

U-joints, CV's and 240Z/280Z bits

khughes

are you putting new bearings into the Cv's while your doing this? i looked up nissan FAST, and found a part number for the boot kits, but it doesn't show this bearing cage in the diagram... wierd!

my shafts will need reconditioning, so i assume this means new bearings and boots.

no im planing on using the shafts as they are got local cv shop to check them out and he said they in really good shape

Reversed outer bearing know worries just popped end cap off shaft and undid circlip pulled bearing cage off slipped it back on reversed and put circlip back on shaft end cap tapped home and done

too easy

• 7 months later...

i sure did!

i have two issues though that i am still yet to resolve.

A) the Z31 halfshafts just barely rub on the body of the shock when the rear wheels are fully loaded

B) The Z31/260Z adaptor that i got has probably a little too much meat on it on the inside.. there is not much clearence between the bolts that hold the CV to the adaptor (if the nuts arn't turned the right way, they foul the arm, and the nut heads are already machined down on the edges)

I probably should have gone with Stewart Wilkins Z31/260z adaptor, and i still may (i need to get the diff reconditioned as it is noisy, or a KAAZ LSD fitted) if this is the easiest fix.

I am not 100% sure what i am going to do about the first one yet, i have a set of adjustable shocks out of a DR30 that i hope will fix it (but havn't measured yet)

pics here:

http://www.project240k.com/images/displayimage.php?album=12&pos=10

http://www.project240k.com/images/displayimage.php?album=12&pos=16

http://www.project240k.com/images/displayimage.php?album=12&pos=15

Looks, good ?,

where did you get you're Blue rubber (its not rubber, but I can't remember the name of the stuff) bushing from ?,

my back end fells like it moves when cornering.

also looking through your gallery a little,

I see you upgraded the brakes ?, did you use Manga vented disc, with landcrusier calipers ?, this is what I will be upgrading too when I save a little money (cost of living is a bitch).

Nigel

not sure what brand the bushes are for the moustache bar, Stewart Wilkins did them when they built the bar for me. Noltec do a kit for the standard bar though! http://www.noltecsuspension.com/ there are also rear x member bushes that may be useful

Rear brakes are late model Commodore/Falcon hybrids (with integrated banksia brake) and my fronts are R34 GTT calipers/disks, hooked into a 10" Booster with 1" Master Cylinder. certainly not the cheapest of options.. but i want to be able to stop pretty quickly.

I have not been able to look at my 240K yet, it's on the boat, but I am going to assume it is similiar to the GC10. Here is what I found when I made changes to the rear of my '71. The rear stub axles from a Z31 300ZX are interchangeable if you also use the bearings from the Z31. I went with a 5 lug conversion on the '71, but the '84 and '85 cars were also available in 4 lug in the non-turbo. You can then also use the companion flange from the Z31. I personally used CV axles from a 280ZX turbo, but I know you guys did not get those. I do know that the non-turbo Z31 uses the same type of CV axles as the 280ZX, but I'm not sure if they are the exact same length. None of the S30 series Z cars had a stub axles that would work. The shaft size is different so they won't fit into GC10 bearings, and the S30 bearings will not fit into the swing arm on the GC10. The Z31 was the only easy swap I found.

Brian

• 3 months later...