IGNORED

Hood hinges - Paint or Plate?

matria

Hello everyone,

I am trying to find information about hood hinges and if they were plated originally? I am at the point of making the decission of what to do. I have had most parts cad plated already but did not think of the hinges at the time. I have seen early 240z's and later 280z's with both paint and plating. What are yout thoughts on the subject?

Thanks,

Skip

My hood hinges are painted on my 75' 280z. I can't reacall 100% but I do belive they were painted on the 240's (someone please back me up on this if I am right, or feel free to shoot me down if I am wrong :surprised ). Check Wicks Humbles book or wait for someone with a bit more experitise to chime in.

If you are going for orginality you need to paint them with them still attached to the car.

I can't wait, two hours till my car get's painted! Sweet!!!!

I don't have "more expertise," but every stock 240Z I've seen (from shows to original 70s photos to recent restos) has the hood hinges painted. The hood latch, however, is plated.

Steve

I think powder coating is the way to go. I painted mine black. I had the original hinges painted the body color but they were worn out. I decided to paint the new ones black. They look good and hide. I think plating them would make them stand out. Ugly!!

Not sure if you already know and not exactly on topic but pretty close. The torsion bars for the hood hinges were painted black.

And painted black with a brush, I might ad. Of course, I'm exposed to seriously early cars which from all looks of it were fairly hand built. By the time we get around to looking at 260s and 280s, I get a little lost from lack of exposure.