IGNORED

Headlight Upgrade Harness's For Sale (again!)

Zs-ondabrain

Dave,

It's often difficult for people that have always been 'employees' to get their minds around being self-employed and what implications that has for their financial planning.

You found out that you were donating your time with the previous runs and that's not fair to you or your family. At the current price, your still spending about 3 hours to manufacture each harness. I think with the cost of your parts and supplies, you're still only getting about $20/hour for your labor. I'd say that's more reasonable than any other company out there. Think about an auto mechanic that charges $80, $90 and even $100/hour. They do this to cover their material costs, building space lease/mortgage and their employees labor. Even at these rates, there's still not much left for 'profit'.

You should in no way feel guilty about providing a valuable product at a very reasonable price. Especially after you provided the detailed instructions to the public domain. Anyone that wants to save a few bucks can use your directions to do it themselves. Anyone that doesn't have the time, energy or aptitude and has $125, will buy one pre-built from you.

It is VERY common for people to pay a premium for a brand new service or product when it first comes on the market. The fact that you started with the price too low is a common mistake for a new business. You think you've corrected it. Maybe, maybe not. But don't feel guilty, I would have bought my harness from you at $125 too. When MSA is charging $200 for a replacement blade style fuse box, that doesn't really solve the original design deficiencies inherint in the Z cars wiring, you can put your conscience at ease knowing you ARE solving the problem.

I see your relay harness as an investment in the longevity of my Z car's original wiring and safety of my Z from possible electrical fire.

Once production ramps up, initial 'start-up' costs have been recovered and economies of scale start to kick in, the production price is reduced. In some cases, the manufacturer will pass that cost savings on to the public and reduce the retail price of the product.

I'm not going to tell you what to do, but as a small independant business owner, I'll chime in with my opinion. As has been mentioned previously, your target market is dwindling with the 240z's and it would be a bad business move to cut your prices before you've expanded your market.

Find a way to produce the product for the 260/280z's and then, if your wife can stomach it, you can lower your price on the relay harness for the 240z.

Cheers,

LWW

And not to mention the price of a fuse box and headlight switch can push you over $300 for a good set.

And a replacement relay (which you can get at almost ANY auto parts store) is only going to cost you between $3 and $6 dollars. not hundreds.

Thanks for all the input,

Dave.

A large 105 or 120 zspecialties alternator will probably make no difference in light brightness without Dave's harness (IMO, if someone else knows otherwise please reply).

Also, per Dave (can you vouch for this) I was talking to him about how everthing is working perfect (after the harness install), but was wondering why I still had problems with wiper speed and turn signal blinking speed under 1500 rpms...both items slowed down even with the harness installed. He mentioned that the stock alternator doesn't start pumping out adequate amps until it hits 1500rpm. Thus, this is why I am going to get the 120 amp alternator.

I am also planning on upgrading my stereo; I'm getting one of those Pioneer decks from Walmart that play mp3s (I have a sony cd changer controlling deck with cd changer right now) and by putting the mp3 one in, I can play 10 discs like on my cd changer on ONE cd by using mp3s. Plus I save all the space my cd changer takes up. Yeah!

Anyways, I'm not an audio freak, but I like nice clean sound, with a little bass to back it up. I plan on putting 5.25" in custom enclosures in the area right above the footrest on each side in the front, and use the 6x9 enclosure that MSA sells. Then I'm getting the best money can buy 5.25's and 6x9s and getting a nice 100watt to 250 watt mosfet amp, not sure which one.

I don't listen too loud, but I do want it to sound clear with good bass when I turn it up.

Enough off subject!

The 105 amp would be great for the 'slowness' of the wipers and turn signal blinking under 1500 rpm's but it isn't going to do a thing about making the headlights 'brighter' like Dave's harness. (if I'm wrong please tell me so and explain!).

Dave-- possibly a suggestion would be to make an alternative wiring harness with no ends for 260 and 280 folks, with the price cheaper. I know this probably flies in the face of your policies (it probably would mine) but I'm pretty biased being a 240 owner only.

The 260/280 people should have some kind of access to your harness. It's definitely worth $125 and then they could go find connectors at the junkyard from a junker to make it plug and play...or they might not even care about modifying the wiring...

But if you were to take off the price/labor of connecting those connectors that are only on the 240z, that would make the harness much cheaper? I think it might be something to consider for the 260/280 people, as these cars I feel have pretty much the same rights the 240 does to quality parts. Well, not equal, but close...just kidding.

Dave, got the P/L harness yesterday, thanks for the quick turnaround. Will let you know how the install goes.

Todays project is the 105 amp alternator install. The reason I posted that your headlights might work better with it was based on this thread. http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17571&highlight=105+amp

I'm not planning on disconnecting/re-connecting my old wiring to test the new alternator so it's a moot point providing everything goes ok getting the alternator put on.

The other problem I have found is that the ZX alternator only puts out a higher amperage but still has the same downfall as the 240 alternator, It does not put out a decent charge at idle. This is thru experiance and the word of 3 different sources.

So yes, the ZX alternator does have a higher output than the 240Z's alternator but does the same damn thing that the 240Z's alternator does at idle.

I'm gonna do a little work on the Z today, being as how U.P.S. completely

F%$#@!ed me AGAIN. They gauranteed me a delivery on the 17th, They even told me that they have untill 11:59pm to deliver it on the 17th. GUESS WHAT?

NO PACKAGE!!! Which means no harness's can even be finished untill MONDAY and not be delivered until TUESDAY!!

Needless to say, I'm F$#@in pissed off!!! I sit here an tell you guys when I'll deliver your harness's and then end up looking like a liar cause a Proffesional company like U.P.S. can't get there $^!# together.

Sorry, just venting,

Dave.

Okay question. What will the parking light harness do for me?

Bryan,

At the risk of sounding like an asshole, do you ever read the forums or just hop on and ask off the wall questions?

After two years of threads on the headlight harness, you still asked what it was and what it would do for your car. After explaining it um-teen times to other people, you still ask the same questions.

I'm sorry for ripping on ya but come on. take five minutes and read the forums. There is a link on the bottom of my signature to both subjects.

Having a bad day and taking it out on who-ever gets in the way,

Dave.

Hey Dave, I'm glad to hear you're "back in the business" again, so to speak! I only hope you'll hang with the offer for a little longer. I'm definitely interested but the funds are unavailable at the moment. Hurricane, bank, insurance companie and lawyers... you fill in the blanks :(

I HOPE it all gets settled by summertime so work on the Z can resume.

Oh Did The Poor Baby Get Up In The Wrong Zip Code?

...................fed-x..................................................

Jzm.

P.s.ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

P.s.s. Are We Still On For The Z Drive Tomorrow?

OF COARSE WE ARE!!! I gotta get the hell out of this house. I'll call ya later on this evening. I'm just giddy, thinking about how ape-sh!t I'm gonna go on the Yellow Z when I get a chance and the extra funds.

Anybody in the area wanna meet us in Anacortes, WA. tomorrow (2/19/06) around noonish (Washington Park) ??????