IGNORED

Headlight Upgrade Harness's For Sale (again!)

Zs-ondabrain

Not to shoot Dave's business in the foot but if you can't have the harness you might consider the 105 amp alternator. I don't know if 260's and 280's have the same problem power wise that 240's seem to but an alternator that pumps out more juice might make up for what you're dealing with now.

I may replug my lights back in to the old system after I get the 105 amp alternator put on the car to see what if any difference there is.

Not to shoot Dave's business in the foot but if you can't have the harness you might consider the 105 amp alternator. I don't know if 260's and 280's have the same problem power wise that 240's seem to but an alternator that pumps out more juice might make up for what you're dealing with now.
Bigger alternators can be good, but lack of amps isn't the big problem with the headlights. Running all the amps that the headlights draw through a 35 year old headlight switch and fusebox is. A different alternator doesn't address that at all, but the relay harness does.

Once again, Arne took the words right out of my mouth.

Even with a 200 amp alternator, you'll still be using 35 year old wiring and the power will still be going thru the old fusebox, switch and umteen feet of old wire.

But actually, please do the comparison so we can hear about the results. I'd personally like to hear them, Good or bad.

Dave.

P.S. Will, I finally got your M.O. today (Saturday) I'll try to get that out to you on monday.

Dave

Even with a 200 amp alternator, you'll still be using 35 year old wiring and the power will still be going thru the old fusebox, switch and umteen feet of old wire.

But actually, please do the comparison so we can hear about the results. I'd personally like to hear them, Good or bad.

Dave.

I just got the 105 amp alternator from Z Specialties, and will probably install it before the headlight harness gets here. I can't say I will make a technical study of it, but I can give you my impressions of before/ after alternator alone, and alternator + harness.

I just got the 105 amp alternator from Z Specialties, and will probably install it before the headlight harness gets here. I can't say I will make a technical study of it, but I can give you my impressions of before/ after alternator alone, and alternator + harness.

Just keep us posted. when did you send the M.O. again? I like to keep track of these things.

while I wired my own, I must say, your price is more than reasonable for what you are providing..

thank you very much.

Dave

I had read previous posts that said the 105 amp alternator provides some improvement to the headlights and before I knew about Dave's harness that was my solution to my weak headlight problem. When I found out about the harness, I jumped on it because it was a quicker solution. I'm still getting the alternator but, in part, because it has an internal voltage regulator which will free up space on my wheel well to properly mount the headlight harness. I hated the idea of having to drive flat out on the old system to get mediocre performance out of the headlights. Thankfully Dave's harness solved that problem.

If you've read the posts about the 105 amp Alternator, then you SURELY couldn't have missed the even MORE posts about melting fuseboxes, wiring and combination switches.

The problem as Arne stated is that the original wiring has problems inherent in it's design when age and regular wiring resistance creep into the system. Resistance steps up not only at the connections but also in the wiring itself, and ultimately this causes the wiring and connections to heat up which ultimately cause failure.....i.e. melted wiring, fuseboxes, switches.

If you compare the electrical system to a plumbing system (and don't laugh, the analogy gets used in College when discussing circuitry), then you can understand that when the system has a bunch of clogs and leaks you don't add a bigger pump! Sure, for the first few times things would ~seem~ to flow better.....until it explodes!

Maybe the reason you don't see much about the 105 amp alternator is that most people understand that concept. More juice making CAPABILITY isn't going to help if you don't have the capacity to transport it around the car without melting the whole car.

Dave's system allows the original wiring to handle an even LOWER current than it was designed for, to actuate a secondary system that then feeds the power hungry headlamps. Think of it as Bypass Surgery around a clot / clogged artery.

E

I was wondering if both the headlight harness and the parking light harness can be installed in tandom. I will order these when I have the money, in 2 months. I am going on a road trip and i am getting body work done to fix the huge gash in the side of my s13. I am also wondering if you are willing to give a break on price, if I buy both H/L and parking/L harnesses at the same time? :squareeye

I can consider it. Just e-mail me with the request and we'll go from there.

Orders are on a two day delay at the moment (waiting for my relays to come in.) If I buy then at the store, they cost about $4-$5 each. If I wait a few days, They're only $1.25 each. Potter/Brumfeild relays aren't cheap but I prefer them.