IGNORED

1979 280z fusible links

slaptimmay

im having troubles keeping charge to my 280. i had the battery and alternator checked. the starter also. whats happening is i have to jump the car. once its started and im just sitting there idleing its fine, but once i drive for a while my battery starts to die as if the alternator isnt helping it. i checked one of the fusible links and it was dry rotted so im guessing the others are too and they all need to be replaced. would that make sence for whats going on? if im right... where can i get the links. or is there a amp fuse i can use and just get rid of the wires? my e-mail is tim_7_2000@yahoo.com any and all info is helpful! thanks

First of all, if you have a 79, it's a 280ZX not a 280Z. I can't tell you much about the fusible links on it because I don't know much about the electronics in a ZX. Your scenario makes sense, however, as one of the links on a 280Z is directly between the alternator and the battery and there probably would be some similarity to the ZX system.

This is from a 77. Despite the reputation the japanese have today for electronics, these cars had crap wiring.

Check the wires running from the alternator all the way to your fusebox. Odds are you'll find something like the pic below. Once the tape came off, the splice crumbled into dust. Oddly enough, everything still worked (most of the time).

post-8330-14150795962294_thumb.jpg

No the fusible links have nothing to do with the car losing power they only act as a fuse would and open up when there is a short in electrical system.. Have your alternator checked again,sometimes alternators check o.k. but its a false reading...also clean all wires and connectors on alernator and ground wire.....Randy

I second what Randy said. A friend had a problem with maintaining a charge. The parts place tested the alternator and said it was fine (internally regulated). I didn't buy the diagnosis and convinced the friend that we should replace the alternator. The problem went away.