IGNORED

Save S30-0002

Mr Camouflage

i'm confused... that page you linked to is the same as this one only 6 pages...... strange...

Not strange. It is a link to this same thread but has the "pp=5" option in the URL that causes it to show only 5 posts per page hence the large number of pages.

bemmerguy714,

Just to clarify ( in case you didn't realise ) - this car is 'S30-00002', and presumably 'S30-00001' did also exist - but ( theoretically at least ) so did:

*'PS30-00001'

*'HLS30-00001'

*'HS30-00001'

Apologies if you realised this, but I thought it worth mentioning.

Mr Harigae has certainly got a good claim as being the "S30-series Z VIN-number-bingo King" :love:

This car has got to be saved. One day it ought to be part of Nissan's museum collection ( when they finally MAKE their own proper museum, that is ).

Talk about the 'missing' engine could be tempered with the mention that this car would not have had its L20A engine number stamped onto its engine-bay VIN tag from the Factory. There was no facility for this on the Japanese home market cars; they only had the chassis number stamped on them. Which means that a suitably early L20A engine block could be sourced from a mid-1969 Cedric or Gloria and nobody would be any wiser.

All this car needs is a pinch of pragmatism and a whole lot of time and money spent on it.

Ganbatte Harigae san! :):love:

Alan T.

bemmerguy714,

Just to clarify ( in case you didn't realise ) - this car is 'S30-00002', and presumably 'S30-00001' did also exist - but ( theoretically at least ) so did:

*'PS30-00001'

*'HLS30-00001'

*'HS30-00001'

Apologies if you realised this, but I thought it worth mentioning.

Mr Harigae has certainly got a good claim as being the "S30-series Z VIN-number-bingo King" :love:

This car has got to be saved. One day it ought to be part of Nissan's museum collection ( when they finally MAKE their own proper museum, that is ).

Talk about the 'missing' engine could be tempered with the mention that this car would not have had its L20A engine number stamped onto its engine-bay VIN tag from the Factory. There was no facility for this on the Japanese home market cars; they only had the chassis number stamped on them. Which means that a suitably early L20A engine block could be sourced from a mid-1969 Cedric or Gloria and nobody would be any wiser.

All this car needs is a pinch of pragmatism and a whole lot of time and money spent on it.

Ganbatte Harigae san! :):love:

Alan T.

wait i'm really confused now. What are the diffrences between these cars? i know they last 5 numbers mean. whats the "p", "hl" and "hs" mean? S30 id the body style right? ON my car is reads "HLS30-64437". Can someone please explain these numbers to me or even better yet give me a link?

*'PS30-00001'

*'HLS30-00001'

*'HS30-00001'

Another newbie to the VIN code conversation, Alan!

Bemmerguy,

We seem to be able to only speculate on what was actually car #1 as all the serial numbers for the various model designations began with -00001. What would have been built at the time would be various models of the S30 chassis intended for various sales markets. The S30 and the S30S designations were for Fairlady Zs in the Japanese market with the standard engine being the L20. The H signifies fitment of the L24 engine (and much later the L28E engine). L signifies left-hand drive. The PS30 was the FairladyZ 432 with the S20 engine. The PS30SB was the FairladyZ 432-R.

For example, here is what I have been told by two separate excellent sources as HS30-00026, a right-hand drive L24 engined Datsun 240Z. Same serial number, different car. I liken to imagine that this is Her Majesty's sister the racing warrior.

post-4148-14150795625182_thumb.jpg

Holy shmokes! It does look in poor condition, and it's true many of the parts it's meant to have seem to be missing but... I think no.2 deserves to be in a better state than that! I wish Mr. Harigae good luck and hope he decides to bring her back to life.

bemmerguy, there are loads of topics on the forums about the chassis codes, if you want to learn more about the many differences between models and markets.

Having read this thread, I'm still a bit perplexed why anyone (especially Nissan) would throw a whole bunch of money into restoring #2 without the original engine? :ermm:

Sure, it would be great to see the #2 chassis back on the road, and even better to OWN it. But it'll probably end up being powered by #14257 engine or something. So the sheer expense of the restoration may far exceed its worth.

I guess my STATEMENTS are really QUESTIONS though!

What's your opinion re: the value at the end of such a mamoth restoration?