IGNORED

DATSUN 240Z Euro Spec. Springs???

Carl Beck

Would someone with a Factory Service Manual for the Euro Spec. DATSUN 240-Z's please Post the specifications for the OEM springs.

The Factory Service Manual should list in the Service Data and Specifications at the end of the Front/Rear Suspension Sections:

Wire Diameter

Coil Diameter

Coil Turns

Coil Effective Turns

Free Length

Installed height/load

Spring Constant

Carl,

Just to clarify;

When you write "Euro Spec." model '240Z', you are specifically referring to the LHD model sold in France, Germany, Belgium, Holland & Portugal and NOT the UK-market RHD model ( or the Australian / NZ-market RHD models ). Is that correct?

I have data that applies to the UK-market models ( which seems to include the Australia / NZ models too ), and also the Japanese home-market models ( some shared part numbers ) but I regret that I don't have the data you need for the "European" LHD models....

Presumably you are looking for only the 'Europe' market data?:

*54010-E8101 SPRING-FRONT RH - EUROPE.

*54010-E8100 SPRING-FRONT LH - EUROPE.

*55020-E8100 SPRING-REAR. EUROPE.

Alan T.

Wasn't Mr. Beck looking for the "specifications" for the items, & not necessarily the part numbers?

At least that is the way I understood his post.

I agree. The Courtesy site does give the spring rate. I thought it might be helpful.

Carl,

Just to clarify;

When you write "Euro Spec." model '240Z', you are specifically referring to the LHD model sold in France, Germany, Belgium, Holland & Portugal and NOT the UK-market RHD model ( or the Australian / NZ-market RHD models ). Is that correct?

Hi Alan (everyone):

I guess that is one of the answers I was hoping to get defined. The Euro Spec. Springs could be ordered through the Datsun Parts Dept.. at any Datsun Dealer here in the US from the 70's forward. However there were two options, Euro Spec. Stage I and Euro Spec. Stage II.

I have found no clear definition of which, if any, Countries got the Euro. Spec. Stage II springs.

I have data that applies to the UK-market models ( which seems to include the Australia / NZ models too ), and also the Japanese home-market models ( some shared part numbers ) but I regret that I don't have the data you need for the "European" LHD models....

I believe that the Left Hand Drive and Right Hand Drive models would have used the same springs, only the Right and Left Front Springs would have been swaped depending. (Yes/No?).

Presumably you are looking for only the 'Europe' market data?:

*54010-E8101 SPRING-FRONT RH - EUROPE.

*54010-E8100 SPRING-FRONT LH - EUROPE.

*55020-E8100 SPRING-REAR. EUROPE.

Alan T.

No, I thought that if everyone sent the data we could sort out which countries got what. We would also know what is or is not interchangeable

What We Have Listed Here In The US Parts Catalogs:

Part Numbers and Spring Rates - Euro Spec. Stage I Springs

54010-E4107 240Z Spring/RF (101 lbs/in)

54010-E4106 240Z Spring/LF (101 lbs/in)

55020-E4201 240Z Spring/R (112 lbs/in)

Part Numbers and Spring Rates - Euro Spec. Stage II Springs

(as you listed)

54010-E8100 240Z Spring/LF (122 lbs/in)

54010-E8101 240Z Spring/RF (122 lbs/in)

55020-E8100 240Z Spring/R (140 lbs/in).

(although Courtesy's Listing would seem to have the R and L front spring Parts Numbers reversed - or was this done intentionally for application to Left Hand Drive cars here?????).

I was most specifically looking for the specifications for

the Euro Spec. Stage I springs.

The Euro Spec. Stage II springs require a different spring perch height on the front struts, than that which is standard on the US Spec. Cars. In other words to use the Stage II springs on the US Spec. cars the spring perch height has to be raised 1" to maintain full shock travel; or new optional struts were required:

54302-E8127 240Z OPT Strut /RF

54303-E8127 240Z OPT Strut/ LF

We hope to have the US Spec. and Euro Spec. Stage I springs reproduced, as they are NLA everywhere here in the US now. However the manufacturer requires the complete set of spring specifications.

The OEM springs removed from 71/72 240Z's here, are testing out to be about 70% to 80% of their specified rates. Many people do not want to use the performance springs presently available in the after-market, because they all result in lowered ride height, or springs that are way too stiff for GT use.

Any information you can supply will be greatly appreciated, especially the complete spec.'s for the Euro Spec. Stage I springs (which is what I believe were OEM on the GB models.

Kind regards,

Carl B.

Carl Beck

Clearwater, FL USA

http://ZHome.com

.....The Euro Spec. Springs could be ordered through the Datsun Parts Dept.. at any Datsun Dealer here in the US from the 70's forward. However there were two options, Euro Spec. Stage I and Euro Spec. Stage II.

I have found no clear definition of which, if any, Countries got the Euro. Spec. Stage II springs.

The reason for my posting of the "Europe" ( according to the UK-market R-Drive Factory Parts Manual ) spring part numbers was to try to establish exactly which springs were being referred to by the USA dealers when they quoted "European" springs. There seems to be some continuing confusion about which market these applied to......

I'll try to make it clear what I think the answer to that question is, but it is going to take a lot of cross-referencing and typing out. And even at the end of that, I don't believe I have - as I mentioned in my first post - the exact info that is being requested. However, maybe some of what I have will be useful.

....I believe that the Left Hand Drive and Right Hand Drive models would have used the same springs, only the Right and Left Front Springs would have been swaped depending. (Yes/No?).

It appears to be quite a lot more complicated than that when we look at all the part numbers. Maybe you could look at the spring data and come up with a combination that would work, but it might have to be a 'Frankenstein' effort. The thing is, there are a LOT of part numbers / specs.........

....I thought that if everyone sent the data we could sort out which countries got what. We would also know what is or is not interchangeable

That's what I thought too. Here goes....

...Any information you can supply will be greatly appreciated, especially the complete spec.'s for the Euro Spec. Stage I springs (which is what I believe were OEM on the GB models.

If the "Euro Spec. Stage I" springs are more accurately the UK-market springs, then I think we might have a result here - but there is quite a lot of data to wade through. I think we should use the part numbers as the datum point rather than the US Dealer / Aftermarket description of "Euro".

Bear with me while I type all this stuff out....

Carl

Whilst I cannot offer the comprehensive knowledge of some others here I can only say that UK springs require the 1 inch higher spring perch that you say the 'euro spec 2' springs do and that the 'euro spec 1' don't. So as far as I can tell the UK spec springs will not fit on any US car that has the (standard)lower spring perches.

Andrew

From the first UK-market Nissan 'R-Drive' parts manual:

*54010-E4104 - SPRING-FRONT RH ( ratio 1.49kg/mm ) - MANUAL ( exc. Europe ).

*54010-E8101 - SPRING-FRONT RH - Europe.

( note that no spring rate is given ).

*54010-E4107 - SPRING-FRONT RH - OP. ( Manual ) ( ratio 1.80kg/mm ) ( exc. Europe ).

*54010-E4105 - SPRING-FRONT RH - For air conditioner - AUTOMATIC ( exc. Europe ).

*54010-E4102 - SPRING-FRONT LH ( ratio 1.49kg/mm ) - MANUAL ( exc. Europe ).

*54010-E8100 - SPRING-FRONT LH - Europe.

*54010-E4106 - SPRING-FRONT LH - OP. ( Manual ) ( ratio 1.8kg/mm ) ( exc. Europe ).

*54010-E4103 - SPRING-FRONT LH - For air conditioner - AUTOMATIC ( exc. Europe ).

*55020-E4102 - SPRING-REAR ( ratio 1.8kg/mm ) ( exc. Europe ).

*55020-E8100 - SPRING-REAR - Europe.

*55020-E4201 - SPRING-REAR ( ratio 2.0kg/mm ) ( Opt. )

My head hurts already. I'll have a cup of coffee and then start typing out some spring data that applies to the above numbers. Bear with me.....

Some spring data. Not much, but it is all I have to hand at present.

*54010-E4104:

Spring constant: 1.49kg/mm

Inside diameter: 100mm

Free length: 386mm

Loaded length: 201mm

Typical loading: 274mm

*54010-E4107:

Spring constant: 1.80kg/mm

Free length: 331mm

Loaded length: 178mm

Typical loading: 274kg

*54010-E4105:

Free length: 392mm

Typical loading: 283kg

*54010-E4106:

Free length: 319mm

Typical loading: 254kg

*54010-E4103:

Free length: 380mm

Typical loading: 264kg

*55010-E4106:

Free length: 319mm

Typical loading: 254kg

*55020-E4102:

Spring constant: 1.85kg/mm

Free length: 369mm

Loaded length: 225mm

Typical loading: 388kg

Identification mark: Single white paint dab.

*55020-E4201:

Spring constant: 2.07kg/mm

Free length: 356mm

Loaded length: 225mm

Typical loading: 296kg

Identification mark: Two yellow paint dabs.

I have a few other part numbers that apply to the Japanese home market models ( some of them are the same as some of the UK market numbers posted above ) but since we are talking about "Euro" it might be better to stick to that for now.

Note: Things got even more complicated after 1973. The numbers I have posted apply up to ( I believe ) around mid 1973 here in the UK.....

I need another coffee now.

Alan T.

Carl

Whilst I cannot offer the comprehensive knowledge of some others here I can only say that UK springs require the 1 inch higher spring perch that you say the 'euro spec 2' springs do and that the 'euro spec 1' don't. So as far as I can tell the UK spec springs will not fit on any US car that has the (standard)lower spring perches.

Andrew

Hi Andrew:

Yes.. that is very helpful to know. It pretty much says that the UK got what our US Parts refer to as the ""Euro. Spec. Stage II" springs.

thanks,

Carl B.