IGNORED

Top speed and MPG of 1974 260z??? help

rudds67

Hey guys,

Just wondering if theres any 260z owners out that would give me some input if my car is running right. On a strait away i can barly get this car above a 100mph...I know somthing is deffinalty wrong B/c when you open the glove box u see the tire pressure Recommendations ... Over 100 and under 100../.. yea this is Definitely tellin me somthing is wrong.. In the car im runin a L28 engine out of a 280z with a 4 speed tranny.. as for the carbs go i have an earlyer set off off SUs out of a 71' 240z...Also as in regards to Mpg.. im getting under 20 mpg. Is that normal? i know this car needs a tune up...

Thanks,

Steve

Z you later...

post-4552-14150795387078_thumb.jpeg

I get about 20mpg on freeway and about 15 in the city. If I am driving more aggressively I get about 10-12mpg in the city. I have gotten my car upto 105mph along time ago. I thought it was going to lift off. I never did it again. The top speed for a stock 260z is about 125mph. The stickers on the glovebox door are referring to the 175HR14 Bridgestone tires. I don't think it matches with new tires. I have 195 by 70 14" tires and I inflate to 32psi. the numbers are different for the original tires.

OT: Thanks for the link Larry. I know that the California export 260z's were rated at 139bhp, but my car was bought from Illinois and the plate in the engine bay says 162bhp. I am assuming this is because the California cars had to meet the smog laws.

Ben

Hi Steve,

It's a bit of a tangent, but is the glovebox tyre placard in Kilometres per hour, or miles an hour?. For safetys sake it's a big difference. 100mph is ~ 160 kph...or 100kph is ~60 mph.

Jim. :)