IGNORED

Scarab Research

Mike

Hi all,

I am looking for anything to do with the SCARAB modifications to the Z. They had quite a following in the 70's and I want to collect as much information as possible. A few years ago I saw a very nice Scarab conversion at the Motorsport Nationals. I'll find a link to the images and post them in this thread.

But, if you have collected any data on this please post it. I would like to see original ads for the Scarab cars as well as any parts or specifications. Oh, and pictures!!!

thanks to alan and rosanne for a great collection of z info.

Awesome stuff!! Any idea how I can get ahold of them? I'd love to start a section on our club to host this for them... I'd hate to see it get lost over the years like most private web pages ...

-- Mike

Okay, here's what I've found so far on that website. A list of features commonly provided with a Scarab conversion:

Standard Features:

Drivetrain:

• Balanced, blueprinted Chevy 350 (300hp) smallblock with electronic ignition

• specially designed cross-flow radiator

• high-performance water pump

• flex fan to cool the 22-quart-capacity system

• Borg Warner Super T-10 4 speed with special Hurst competition shifter linkage

• complete exhaust system with a pair of glasspack mufflers

Suspension:

• Koni adjustable shocks

• front and rear sway bars

• Teflon compression strut bushings

• high-performance rack and pinion mounts

• and springs by Scarab

• torque control arm, it is essentially a quarter-inch-thick piece of steel bent into a U shape, with about 3/8” of rubber laid in the bottom of the U. Scarab installed it from beneath the front differential mount, bolting front and back into holes tapping into the metal framework of the differential insulator. The torque control arm minimized the forces on the mount and on the front end of the differential itself without totally eliminating the cushioning effects of the insulator like a solid mount would.

Brakes:

• Disc/Drum (power) with HP pads/shoes or optional FIA 4 piston calipers

• Later cars could be had with four-wheel discs, and those with drum brakes could have optional finned cast-iron drums

Interior:

• Door panels are soundproofed and covered in glove soft, hand-sewn Scottish leather

• Momo leather steering wheel

• Seats were re-padded and covered in Scottish leather and velour to match the door panels and console lid

• Deep pile carpeting

Exterior:

• Trans-Am front air dam, rear Trans-Am spoiler

• Twin exterior rally mirrors

• louvered hood and access panels

• Scarab logo with associated emblems

• high-speed driving lights

• All exterior Datsun badging was removed from the Scarab factory cars: the low production volume of these vehicles was highlighted by Scarab factory-specific badging that included raised Scarab lettering to replace the Datsun front fender nameplates, and Scarab Performance black-and-gold rectangular decals in the lower left corner of the windshield and the lower right corner of the rear hatch glass

heavy gold medallions containing the Egyptian Scarab Beetle emblem

Optional Features:

• Drivetrain:

• 350 SB (325 or 370hp naturally aspirated)

• Turbo (425hp)

• automatic transmission

• Limited slip differentials in R-180 or R-200

Brakes:

• four-wheel discs

• finned cast-iron drums

Interior:

• Recaro contoured, reclining bucket seats with headrests

• 12 coats of hand-rubbed lacquer

Exterior:

• whale tail

• reverse scoop hood with side fender louvers

• rectangular headlights

• flared fender packages

• rear window shade

Wheels:

• Cromodora Turbina wheels

• Campagnolo or Appliance Wheels

• BBS wheels

• Pirelli CN36 tires

Yes, I'm watching and reading. Mike, the best person to contact on all things Scarab is Bruce Bladon. He has a link on Carl Becks site. Bruce can provide original and genuine documentation. Remember that alot of the Scarabs people see are after market cars NOT produced by Brian Morrow.

The other engine option was the 327 which is what I would like.

I'm as passionate about the true Scarab as some members here are about Fairladys and early VINs.

Before I die, I will own one!

Vicky

Awesome stuff!! Any idea how I can get ahold of them? I'd love to start a section on our club to host this for them... I'd hate to see it get lost over the years like most private web pages ...

-- Mike

Yes Mike I do happen to know how to get ahold of the owner of that site... ROFL

Bambi is right, it's my site! I do not have any intention of shutting it down...ever. It is my site, on my server, in my home, so there are no bandwidth limitations nor issues of the hosting company going under or anything like that (I have many pages on my server including my family site, photo gallery, etc so you can see why it's not going anywhere). However, if you see anything there that you want please feel free to take it or if you prefer just ask and you can have copies. ALSO, if anyone on this site has anything that they'd like to add please contact me as I'd love to increase the amount of knowledge and history on that Z page!!!