IGNORED

Console repair: How to patch holes?

johncdeere

I'm restoring an early 71 240Z and have (I think) the correct console, choke plate and change tray. The problem is that it has several screw holes and one 2" slot.

Anyone got advice on how to patch/fill these and look good?

I'm replacing the rest of the interior plastic and it has a brand new dash so I want it to look good and match.

There is a very good section on console repair on a tape from ZTherapy, because pictures are worth 1000 words, I will not try to keep up with the 30frames a second on the vidoe, it is cheep, and has a whole lot more than just console repair on it. Where in South Ga are you?

Will

what is bog? damn....

Ive never heard it refered to as anything else. um what do you guys use to repair holes after cutting out rust? It dries hard like putty..you can fix...things....with it

I used patches of steel, welded into the holes when i needed to repair rust holes.

We can buy 2 part epoxy putty bars (you knead the 2 parts together and it hardens); POR Epoxy Putty

or buy stuff called JB WELD which is 2 tubes of a paste that hardens when you mix them together. J B WELD

"Bondo" is a brand name for a body filler sold in the USA. I don't know if that particular brand is sold elsewhere. Over the years it has become generic for body filler. Kind of like 'Levis,' 'Vise Grip,' 'Coke,' and a few other names I can't think of right now that have become generic slang for other products. Is 'Bog' and brand name in Australia?

Thanks for the Plas-T-Pair reference. What is your experience with it, John? Does it bond to the hard plastics like an ash tray or radio face plate?

Its unlike any of the products mentioned. It does more than bond - it fuses with the surrounding plastic. Its two part, a powder filler and a liquid solvent. The solvent melts the powder, and you can blend it to the consistency you want. Very good for any type of styrene plastic repair. It comes in a translucent white color, but I have pigmented it with powdered paint to match the color of the repaired piece. If you need texture, you can use a press texture onto it with the texture pieces that come with some of the dash repair kits available at auto parts stores. I've also made molds and poured the plas-T-pair into them for more complicated repairs. The repairs are stronger than the original.