IGNORED

getting a title with a bill of sale

hls30.com

Here is a loaded question! Has anybody got any experience getting a title from a bill of sale? Here in Georgia if a car has been registered with a bill of sale, the next owner in Georia cannot get a Gerogia title. The '72 I have bought has a bill of sale. I want a title. It appears that I must transfer the car (paperwork) to a state that will issue a Title, and then transfer it back. I have heard that Hemmings Motor News has ads from Alabamians that routinely do this sort of thing-I am not sure if this is used as a means of "Washing" a salvage title away or not.

This '72 has never been hit, the numbers match, and other than Tripple Webbers, wheels, and paint, is all original hardware.

Thanks ,

Will

Im going thro the same thang with my 71. But i dont evan have a bill of sell the car wasgiven to me.Here in Arkansas if a car has been sitting longer than 5 years and no body else has tried to get the title you can get a bonded title.(atleast ive heard that from the DMV)

Im still in the paper work so to speak. So im not sure yet what is envalved.

Mike,

I know the State of Ga does not require a Title for a car this old. I just want to have a clear title before I put all of this time and effort into this car. If it is stolen, or claimed to be owned by someone else, having a legitimate state-registered certificate of title will make it easier to prove and defend my ownership, as well as limit the envolvement of the other people in the chain of bill of sale transfers.

Will

Originally posted by MikeW

I went through a bit of a hassle to get the title for my car only to find out later that you don't even need a title for older cars:

http://www.dmvs.ga.gov/motor/titles/required.asp

Maybe so but what if he ever wants to sell the car to someone who lives in another state? Not that any of us would EVER sell our Z.

Most States print that a title is required for registering a car from a diferent state, but when it comes to standing in line at the DMV, a clear and leagal bill of sale will get the job done. In some states, a new legal title will be issued after a verification that the car was not listed as stolen.

Will

Your registration might be your title. New York registration has either "transferable" or "nontransferable" printed on it. The "transferable" type is the title. They then allow you to have a photocopy of the registration in your vehicle, as the original *is* the title, and signing the back of it constitutes transfer of the vehicle's ownership.

Chris

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM

I bought a car out of Georgia without a tittle since in Georgia old cars don't need them

MY PROBLEM. Is I live in Florida. The car has been sitting 4 years now, runs looks good needs some help. I would love to have it as a daily driver. In lack of knowledge of getting a Florida title I'm being forced to part it out.

P. S- In Florida ownership of and automobile is based on a correct state title. If no title for the car it's a parts car and can only be sold as a parts car. Pretty sad......

-Brandon

Help needed.

If a title is desired, and paperwork is the problem, then here is something that someone I know did.

Buy the cheapest rusty piece of junk Z (the actual car was a Vette) of the correct year/model ($200 should do it for a Z). Take the tag off the dash, door jam, engine compartment, etc. Pull the engine and transmission. Remove the liscence plates. Cut the car into pieces and call the metal scrap dealer to take away. Nobody else will ever have those numbers again.

Put all the pieces (you were going to rebuild an engine someday anyway, right?) into your clean car. Take the title and old plates to the DMV and get new plates/ registration/ state title.

It's not my recomendation, but only an annecdote of what lenghts some go to get a clean title.

Changing out a VIN can mean Jail time-not something I am willing to risk! I don't mind working a loophole as long as it is legal-moving the car(paperwork) between states is.

I emailed the Ga. DMV, here is their reply:

"Dear Sir:

A title will not be issued for a 1963-1985 year model vehicle if the vehicle has been registered in someone else's name(s) other than the owner(s) shown on the Georgia title record. Therefore, if the previous owner do not obtained a title, you are unable to obtain title also.

Thank you,

DMVS"

A Bonded title company said "caint be done without registering the car outside of Georgia, a Laywer will charge you $100, and spend an hour to find that out-but leave off everything after 'it caint be done'."

Now, I know legally I can "sell" the car to someone in another state, one which will issue a title based on a bill of sale from Georgia, pay for registration in that state, and buy the car back to transfer the car(with a title) back into Georgia, and apply for and obtain a Georgia Title based on the title brought with the car from the other state. I was just wondering if any of you had been down this road. There is nothing illegal about that set of transactions-they are just somewhat complicated and time intensive.

Brandon, when I get to the bottom of this, I will pass along the info-don't part out that car just yet-unless it has something I need

:stupid: !

Will

Although I would prefer a title also you may be making things hard on yourself. You can't be the only one that ever wanted to sell an old car from Ga. If it 's legal where you are then you're good. Remember that state to state flip will most likely include some sort of tax at each state. You may not like it but as long as Ga. does that may be the best you could hope for.