IGNORED

Door Ding Preventive Strip

texasz

As you can see in this pic my car has this black strip that runs down each side to help prevent door dings. I want to remove it since it's starting to come off already any how but do not know how it's attached nor what it will look like once removed. Is this stuff just stuck on with glue or double side 3M 'tape'? Any tips or advice would be great.

showphoto.php?photo=5609&password=&sort=7&thecat=500

Hmmmmm.....ok I can not seem to link to a pic in My Gallery so here's the link to the pic I was trying to show: http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=5609&size=big&password=&sort=7&thecat=500

Impossible to tell in a pic.... There are only two types that I know of, those that are stuck on with some kind of adhesive tape, or those that are pop riveted on.:cross-eye

If it is taped on, it should come off fairly easily, just take your time, and it will take some Goo Gone or other adhesive remover to get off the residue. I used one of the stiffer plastic body filler spreaders to take the ones off my car. Work it under the end of the trim, and keep pulling it off and use the spreader to get under the tape and you should get 90% of it off.

If it's pop riveted on......:disappoin :sick:

The third method of attaching that door ding strip was never used by Datsun on the Z. That method is where the manufacturer actually welds a T button onto the sheetmetal. Then a plastic or metal clip is slid onto the T and the Trim attaches to the clip. Other cars like the Roadster used bolt on clips that had to be attached from the back. Again, neither of these methods were used onthe Z.

If your Vinyl Strip is actually an Aluminum or other pot metal C-channel with decorative trim ends, with a vinyl insert, then undoubtedly it was pop riveted on.

To remove and repair this:

Remove the vinyl insert. If one of the decorative ends has come off, or if the vinyl has shrunk over time, you might be able to see one of the rivets holding one of the ends in place. Drill that rivet out, remove the decorative trim end and slide out the vinyl insert. This is the easiest and least problematic method.

If on the other hand the vinyl has not shrunk enough to show an end rivet, then see if you can push / slide the vinyl off to one side and then remove the rivet.

Although some people say it can be done, in my experience trying to yank out the vinyl from the aluminum channel causes more aggravation and damage than it's worth.

Once you've removed the vinyl insert, drill out the pop rivets. A 1/8" drill bit will work, or you can use a 9'64" which will ensure you also ream out the hole just a bit and eliminate whatever electrolysis corrosion may be there.

Once you've drilled the rivets off, if you're going to repaint the car, then just grind the edges smooth, and use a large soldering iron and acid core solder and solder the holes. Neutralize the acid and paint.

If you're trying to save the paint, then very carefully solder, neutralize and then use touch up paint to try to blend in the damaged / blistered paint. (I only saw this attempted once and in my opinion didn't work too well.)

FWIW

Enrique Scanlon

to embed a photo in the post you have to open the photo, right click and properties, and copy the absolute file path to the image.

in this case its:http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/data/500/3356Exterior_Driver_s_Side.jpg

3356Exterior_Driver_s_Side.jpg

It should be stuck with tape. Depends on how well your paint is bonded to the metal, and how carefully you remove it as to whether you will pull the paint off under the strip. Use a solvent to loosen the tape. (that orange citrus stuff works ok, and doesnt remove paint), then polish and re wax the area.

If its taped onto the car, get a piece of strong fishing line (nylon stuff) tie each end of a bit about 30cms long to a lump of dowel and just work it back, cutting through the tape, then use a goo remover to remove the rest.