Poster artist

This is a discussion on Poster artist within the Zcar History forums, part of the RACING AND HISTORY category; Does anyone know if Shin Yoshikawa is the artist who did the cut-away drawings of the 240Z at the time ...

Member ID
    CZCC-7301

Default Poster artist

Does anyone know if Shin Yoshikawa is the artist who did the cut-away drawings of the 240Z at the time of the car's release? I have the dealer poster from 1969 and there is no artist's signature or other markings to indicate the artist.
    Thanks,
    Keith
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Poster artist-poster-002.jpg  

240Z Elec. Upgrade guy Zs-ondabrain's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-4921

I don't see a Copyright either, Makin Copy's any time soon? I'll buy.
    What are the Dimentions of that?
    Dave
    Rate my Z at Car Domain.com
    My 70' 240Z, Daily Driver

My Parking Light and Headlight Upgrade Harness's at MotorSport Auto
    HLH - PLH - SCP - ZXP's at MSA *They accept PayPal!!*
    Headlight Upgrade Harness info here at ClassicZCar Club
    HLH info at CZCC Do a search for info on the other upgrades I offer.

Member ID
    CZCC-7301

I don't have the dimensions readily at hand. The VCR tapes holding the corners flat should give some perspective on size.

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

There was a poster like that for sale at ZCON 2008. It was signed, and I don't think it was sold.
    Drive Responsibly.
    enjoy classic Rock music.

Mike B
    Member ID
    CZCC-9102

Wick Humble mentions dealer posters for the Z introduction with illustrations by Yoshihiro Inomoto in his "How to Restore Your Datsun Z Car" book. The first pic is from his book, but it looks like a mix of early and late features. The hubcaps look like the 72 and later version, but with a D emblem instead of a Z, the quarter panel emblem is the later Z style instead of the earlier 240Z, and the air cleaner is an early non-flapper version.

The poster you have looks to be the same as the "clairvoyant view" from the Chassis and Body Service Manual. Maybe that is the one that Wick was referring to, but he didn't have a photo of the correct one. I think I have seen similar copies of that illustration on posters for sale on eBay, but yours is the first version of that poster I have seen.

-Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Poster artist-wh-z-poster.jpg   Poster artist-240z-c-b-srvc-man-pics.jpg  

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

I get 56" X 32". VHS is 7.5"x 4" and the sides are 5.5 tapes tall by 9.5 tapes wide. Or something like that. I know I'm close though, give or take an inch or 2.

I still want one to frame and put in the shop. I bought 2 of those Datsun Flags from the CZCC classifieds. So this would be great next to my "Mr. K's Yellow ZG 2 page poster from a Nissan Magazine and my "Datsun Ad" with the #46 510 leading 4 other cars in a right hand turn (Painting)

Dave
    Last edited by Zs-ondabrain; 11-20-2009 at 09:34 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

Too bad you couldn't maket to ZCON 2008. We had 6 sweaters that were sautographed by mr. K! Someone else has them now.
    Drive Responsibly.
    enjoy classic Rock music.

Member ID
    CZCC-14231

Quote Originally Posted by Zs-ondabrain View Post
    Dave
    Someone, somewhere, owns the rights to the artwork and will come down with both feet and a couple good lawyers on anyone who makes copies of the original if they find out. Trust me, I know from personal experience.
    Dennis
    1971 240Z - Original Owner
    2010 Infiniti G37 Convertible

Member ID
    CZCC-11300

As an antique postcard and paper dealer/collector for 20 years, the above poster is copyright by Nissan, the writing at the bottom provides the answer. It doesn't always have to be stated or have the little 'c circle' to be 'truely copyrighted'.

Copies would be at your discretion. Do you have safety shoes and a hardhat?

Bonzi Lon
    1973 HLS30-168500
    1968 SPL311-18100
    1969 HLS30-000110 SOLD Shipped to Dubai UAE
    CZCC#11300

Ones and Zeros

"We drive only blue cars." Dishwalla

Member ID
    CZCC-14809

Default Copywrong

Quote Originally Posted by Zs-ondabrain View Post
    Dave
    http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

It may be older than the Berne copyright convention but it's probably still copyright.

Steve
    I slipped into my jeans
    Lookin' hard and feelin' mean
    I took a spit at the moon

Member ID
    CZCC-3035

However, following the link that Doradox posted, and the link on that page to the Library of Congress copyright page, there is a PDF that summarizes U.S. copyright law.

According to that document, the maximum copyright protection currently afforded is 95 years, so the good news is that sometime after 2064 the poster will enter the public domain!

The copyright protection duration was originally only 20 years, but it was increased several times. Most recently Senator Sonny Bono, just before his untimely death in a skiing accident, pushed through a bill to increase the time limit on copyright protection. As I recall "Gone With The Wind" was about to enter the public domain, and Hollywood was going nuts.
    '71 240Z, Because any fool can drive fast in a straight line.

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

As it relates to protection of intellectual property rights - as I understand it, property rights that aren't protected and rights not enforced - can result in the loss of these rights.

I wonder - does an advertising or promotional Poster, or Picture released for Public Relations, or released as a Press Release and/or given free of any charge to anyone in the public that ask for it - still carry Copyright Protections?

In other words - dose the word "release" as in Press Release, or Public Relations Release... actually mean a release of Copyright?

FWIW,
    Carl B.

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

OH get over people, I was fricken kidding. I was just saying I'd really love a copy. If I want 1 that bad, I'll go to Ebay and get one.

5 posts about copyrighting is enough. I was joking. See what I mean about needing an Emotion sensor on here. nobody knows when you're actually pulling their leg.

If someone finds cheap copies, let me know,
    Dave

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

Hi Dave:
    You may have been kidding - but I wonder about these things myself. if you go on E-Bay to buy an original - expect to pay a hundred bucks for one.

I happen to have several of the different ghost images that accompany the one of the car - and which were sent as a set for display in the Local Datsun Dealership Parts Departments. In addition to the one zed2 has - there was one for the Engine, Front Suspension, Rear Suspension and I think the Transmission/drive train.{I'll have to go dig them out and see what all is there}.

So as far as I'm concerned - the discussion/questions about any copyright issues are of interest. I'd love to see them all reproduced at reasonable prices. Reasonable would be in the neighborhood of $35.00 each - if on high quality paper using high quality ink etc.

On would have to use a large format high resolution scanner -then adjust the colors for fading etc.. then have them printed.. With four of five of them in the complete set - the cost might be brought down to $100.00 to $125.00 per set....

FWIW,
    Carl B.
    Last edited by Carl Beck; 11-21-2009 at 10:18 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

Great Point Carl. It just felt like everyone was going overboard on a simple comment. Would be nice for the Den or Reckroom when me and the wife have a house WITHOUT kids.

I love Wolves, she loves Bengal Tigers, especially white ones. So our bedroom has Posters, pictures, Puzzles and stuffed animals all over it. And somewhere in between, you'll find Datsun and Zcar memorabilia on the walls and shelves.

A full set would be an Awesome Grout buy thing though.

Dave

Mike B
    Member ID
    CZCC-9102

I think this is the version I have seen on ebay before, but it appears to be by another artist http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cutaway-Poster...item1e576bf473.

Carl, let me know when you are ready to make reproductions of your set of posters. I would love a set.

-Mike

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

Hi Mike:
    The one on e-bay is a different one - and it's 16"x12". The originals are about 40" x 30".

I edited my previous Post - I have the Front Suspension, Rear Suspension and Transmission. Keith has the Car - we'd have to find someone with the Engine and Steering to gather together a complete set of 6.

FWIW,
    Carl B.
    Last edited by Carl Beck; 11-21-2009 at 10:44 PM. Reason: changed set from 5 to 6

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

Default Transmission

Here is one of the Transmission..too bad the images have to be so small on the Web - they are very large and detailed in the physical world.

FWIW,
    Carl B.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Poster artist-transsm.jpg  

Member ID
    CZCC-4921

So that's how how the clutch disk goes on. been wondering about that.

All kidding aside, I want that collection. They will be framed and glassed. I promise.

Dave

Member ID
    CZCC-14231

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beck View Post
    In other words - dose the word "release" as in Press Release, or Public Relations Release... actually mean a release of Copyright?
    FWIW,
    Carl B.
    I think we're all pondering this with a basic lack of knowledge. For clarification of terms, remember movies, books and music CDs are also "released". Unlike fish that are released into a lake, you can't do what you want with them after you catch them. Intellectual property rights belong to the original creator of the property.

So, the right way to go about reproducing the posters is to contact Nissan and ask for permission for "Club" use or ask about a licensing agreement.

I use factory photos of Porsche automobiles from the 1970s in a newsletter I produce. I asked the factory for the photos and they gave them to me with permission to reproduce the images in the newsletter. I can't, however, print individual copies of the press photos for resale.

I also reprint magazine articles about the cars from that era in my newsletter. Road & Track, for example, gave me written permission to do so within a limited time frame.

I've been doing this for almost 30 years and have only had one bad experience - when I didn't get clearance to reprint a magazine ad for a clothing company featuring a particular Porsche. The photographer for the ad shoot still owned the rights to the picture and was on me in a heartbeat.

What were the odds he would see the reprint in my obscure newsletter 25 years after he took the picture? Obviously, better than I thought.
    Dennis
    Last edited by psdenno; 11-22-2009 at 08:12 AM.
    1971 240Z - Original Owner
    2010 Infiniti G37 Convertible

Member ID
    CZCC-14809

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beck View Post
    As it relates to protection of intellectual property rights - as I understand it, property rights that aren't protected and rights not enforced - can result in the loss of these rights.

I wonder - does an advertising or promotional Poster, or Picture released for Public Relations, or released as a Press Release and/or given free of any charge to anyone in the public that ask for it - still carry Copyright Protections?

FWIW,
    Carl B.
    Copyright is only forfeited if it is explicitly stated that the work is released to the public domain. Also copyright does not need to be defended. That applies to trademarks.

Steve
    I slipped into my jeans
    Lookin' hard and feelin' mean
    I took a spit at the moon

Thread Information