IGNORED

Cam upgrade?

Dan Hansen

Delivered my 240Z head at the workshop this morning, before installing the new manifold and triples, I decided that it would be better to have it cleaned, and checked before it all went back together again...

That made me thinking.... What about a mild cam instead of the standard? What would it take, besides the cam itself, rockers and lash pads? any thoughts, any one?

You better believe it Charles. A Stage III Isky regrind is what I would install. You’ll need new lash pads, new or remanufactured rockers and the cam. Believe me, it’ll be the best investment you can make. I have a brand new Isky Stage II regrind I’ll part with for $200.00 plus shipping if you or anyone else wants it. PM me if you are interested. All 5 of my cars run Stage III Isky regrinds.

Guy

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dan Hansen said:

Delivered my 240Z head at the workshop this morning, before installing the new manifold and triples, I decided that it would be better to have it cleaned, and checked before it all went back together again...

That made me thinking.... What about a mild cam instead of the standard? What would it take, besides the cam itself, rockers and lash pads? any thoughts, any one?

With stock valves and stock compression you would want to talk to a cam grinder first for his recommendation.

Stage 3 sounds a little much for your stock set up if that is what you have.

• 1 month later...

I’m running a stage one cam and had to get new lash pads and made sure my valve seats were in spec which  also ended up having to replace the oem valves to aftermarket ones that were more durable and to have everything in spec. It all depends if you want to shift all the power up top for a more race setup or street with a more low to mid range powerband. I’m installing triples as well but I’m running a l28. So I’d imagine a stage 3 cam on a l24 to be not so street friendly. That’s why I chose the stage 1 because since I have triples, power would be good up top but low to mid end would be good as well for a more balanced power band. I’ll have to see when I test out my new setup out. Maybe stage ii would be good too kind of a in between. 

13 hours ago, fairladyz432 said:

I’m running a stage one cam and had to get new lash pads and made sure my valve seats were in spec which  also ended up having to replace the oem valves to aftermarket ones that were more durable and to have everything in spec. It all depends if you want to shift all the power up top for a more race setup or street with a more low to mid range powerband. I’m installing triples as well but I’m running a l28. So I’d imagine a stage 3 cam on a l24 to be not so street friendly. That’s why I chose the stage 1 because since I have triples, power would be good up top but low to mid end would be good as well for a more balanced power band. I’ll have to see when I test out my new setup out. Maybe stage ii would be good too kind of a in between. 

I run a stage 3 on my L24 with no issues . Idles at 800 rpm , lug around in 4th gear in town at 1500 rpm if I wanted . Very streetable !