IGNORED

280 mile drive home in the rain....yes or no

Damn fellas I'm supposed to fly out to Redmond OR tomorrow and make the 280 mile drive home in my new 73 240. Weather calls for scattered showers and I cringe at the idea of the car being exposed to all that water. Do I make the drive or re schedule? I will lose the cost of the flight ....what would you all do?

Thanks

Jr

Video added

IMG_20180402_122603_094.jpg.d12c29fa97b207b4bce7c5cc8b46e448.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Do the wipers work?

It's just rain.  If it was snow, I would say reschedule.   You wash the car with water, right?

When I bought my yellow '71, I drove it home 18 hours from NC.  Part of the trip it was raining so hard, I could barely see the tail lights of the truck in front of me.  The rain was coming down so hard, it was bouncing off the pavement and coming in the fresh air vents, which I had to close.

A little adversity just adds to the adventure!!  So unless it was unusually severe weather, I say go for it.

Marty

• Like 2

It's just water.  Check out where ODOT used salt on the roads and avoid that route.  Oregon doesn't generally use salt they only used it in a couple of experimental areas.  Not sure what WADOT does.  I think if you stay east of the mountains you'll be fine.

The big storm isn't supposed to be here until Saturday.  I've driven my 280 in heavy rain and it's no problem.  It rained back in the 70's also, you know.

Forgot to add a little map for those who want to see the PNW.  I still remember trying to convince my friends in West Virginia that we had desert out here.  Forget about the volcano.

image.png

Edited by Zed Head
  • Like 1

Do the wipers work?
It's just rain.  If it was snow, I would say reschedule.   You wash the car with water, right?
When I bought my yellow '71, I drove it home 18 hours from NC.  Part of the trip it was raining so hard, I could barely see the tail lights of the truck in front of me.  The rain was coming down so hard, it was bouncing off the pavement and coming in the fresh air vents, which I had to close.
A little adversity just adds to the adventure!!  So unless it was unusually severe weather, I say go for it.
Marty
Marty

I know I'm being paranoid just wouldn't drive ever again in the rain intentionally. The PO is picking up some new blades for me just in case.

It's just water.  Check out where ODOT used salt on the roads and avoid that route.  Oregon doesn't generally use salt they only used it in a couple of experimental areas.  Not sure what WADOT does.  I think if you stay east of the mountains you'll be fine.
The big storm isn't supposed to be here until Saturday.  I've driven my 280 in heavy rain and it's no problem.  It rained back in the 70's also, you know.
Forgot to add a little map for those who want to see the PNW.  I still remember trying to convince my friends in West Virginia that we had desert out here.  Forget about the volcano.
image.png.0aee68338585e6bf509922b0af08516d.png

I will just stay on highway 97 all the way back to Yakima Wa, shouldn't really have an issue with any salt except maybe on Satus pass in WA state.

Have you got a minimal tool kit, emergency kit put together for the trip? Basic tools, a can of fix a flat,fire extinguisher, zip ties, a cheap fram g2 fuel filter and low and behold a roll of duct tape. The fuel gauges in 240s are just for getting close. They're not accurate for s h I t. Maybe a spare alternator belt, fuses, some fuel line and maybe radiator hoses. On and on...

Not a lot of stuff but I'd make a plan for potential problems. The fuel filter for sure unless you trust the guy about a good clean tank. Oh yeah, a jug of water too for a possible coolant leak.

You know what to do, what you may need.

I'm jealous, hoping for an incident free road trip that looks fantastic judging by the map.

We'll all be on stand by until you get home. Another thing, alternate way to keep your phone hot; the cig lighter may not work.

Best of luck!

One more thing, ha ha, look at our member map. It shows where people are for your trip if you need some help. I'm hoping the lights and wipers have been upgraded with relays. Okay I'll quit now, I know your anxious enough already. Cliff