IGNORED

Do I need to remove rust on brake rotors?

AlbatrossCafe

I just bought some 280z struts that I am gonna use for a coilover conversion because I cut mine too short. I plan to clean up the rest of the assembly later, but I need to know what to do with the brakes.

They have new wheel bearings/studs but the rotors are pretty rusted up since they have been sitting for a while. So I'm wondering, what is easier?

1. Clean up rust on rotors and use new struts
  2. Swap existing "clean" rotors onto new struts

If I clean off the rust, how thorough do I need to be? Is it a "shop should resurface these" thing or can I just use a wire brush and call it good? Or better yet, will the brake pads just do the work for me on the first drive?

"New" Struts:

Lh98nZO.jpg?1

My existing clean rotors:

Tz8oaVS.jpg?1

The front rotors are really felt through the rack and pinion steering on these cars.  if one is warped just slightly the steering wheel will wobble like crazy.

If your gonna keep the car I'd buy new ones if you have the money.  They were about $25 when I bought a 280 in 2011 and they made a huge difference to me.

• Thanks 1

If it was mine, I would clean the rusty ones with brake cleaner and run them. If it doesn't shimmy on braking, the pads will make them nice and shiny soon. If it does, then turn them or replace them as Site said...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had some about like that.  I sanded them with pretty rough sandpaper then used them.  They shined up pretty quick via the pads after that.

I would be more focused on the bearings, if you're hoping to avoid a bearing change.  If you're sure that they're new and were installed correctly, then sand the rotors to a rough clean and they should end up looking good.  If you do get a shimmy or a warple, you can easily swap them out later.  Sorry site, that's my low-budget recommendation.

Make sure you clean up the spots where the wheel seats so that you get a nice clean flat foundation for the wheels.

• Thanks 1

Low-budget wins! I figure it can't hurt to try them first - don't want to swap something that works. I just wasn't sure if it would damage the pads or something.

Aside from the rotors, I plan to brush/sand the rest of the assembly and hit it with that "rust conversion primer" and then black rustoleum paint.