IGNORED

More living room furniture

Pulled the F54/P79 out of the parts car finally. Not sure how I want to build it yet. Whether stock or some moderate performance gains.

The '80ZX I have on the road now doesn't need rebuild yet, but I believe I've read that the N47 head on that car with a more aggressive cam coupled with the F54 would produce some good performance gains.

For now I will break it apart and see what's what. It'll be my 1st L series rebuild.

I will be getting ahold of the how to rebuild your Nissan/Datsun L series book for sure. IMG_20180309_162002.thumb.jpg.75e7b45ade36cd99a4f4ccbc4fa55ae5.jpgIMG_20180309_161745.thumb.jpg.60c3232453a44f832c1e942630fd8c9c.jpgIMG_20180309_144644.thumb.jpg.d761876efef563cd668c90faa09a2f1b.jpgIMG_20180307_175932.thumb.jpg.1431ea3be8fa57c9a043723655324ccc.jpg

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Classic Zcar Club mobile

• Like 1

If you read up on the p79 head that Eliji has done for Guy you see it's easy and a straight forward head to modify. Shave the head and put pre '79 valves with a descent cam from what I understand. I think if you google "diseazed motor rebuild classiczcars.com" you should find it.

With that book it was fun and motivating for me, I couldn't wait to start the next phase. He writes like that, one project at a time.

Start buying parts now with any extra money you might have.

Advance Auto has 25% off coupon codes on retailmenot.com

That saved me a good bit of money! Also have some Nissan part numbers that will help, their parts are magically superior and should be used at every turn when possible.

Glad you're doing a doing a build,  we'll have some good conversations that end well for a change. LOL

• Like 1

The car that engine came out of made it home about 35 miles south of where I live under its own steam. Albeit with poorly functioning electronics.

At least the fuel injection computer was operating properly. So I know its a good start because it isn't seized or excessively dirty.

I'll read up on that post for sure. The options are pretty wide open and I'll be sucking up all the input I can get.

Pretty stoked to get overwhelmed and put practical info to use.

I'll get no sleep tonight.

On 3/9/2018 at 7:22 PM, Reptoid Overlords said:

The car that engine came out of made it home about 35 miles south of where I live under its own steam. Albeit with poorly functioning electronics.

At least the fuel injection computer was operating properly. So I know its a good start because it isn't seized or excessively dirty.

I'll read up on that post for sure. The options are pretty wide open and I'll be sucking up all the input I can get.

Pretty stoked to get overwhelmed and put practical info to use.

I'll get no sleep tonight.

Here's a great read on the p79 mod. 

http://datsunzgarage.com/p79/

18 minutes ago, Reptoid Overlords said:

That's the one.  He really doesn't mention different parts and combos, actually he rebuilds an L20 4 cylinder for the book.  You can find any info not covered in the book on the wide, wide web if you have a question.

But he does get into EFI.  The "How to Modify" is the one that has the different parts interchanging and measurements of all the different valves and what not if you're building a Frankenstein motor.

Edited by siteunseen

Thanks.  I just ordered it.  I'm just going to leave the head on the block on it's stand until the book arrives.  Just to make sure I start from square one.  A quick question if you don't mind..The transmission from that car is covered in oil and general gunk.  It shifted okay when it drove, so i don't plan on having it rebuilt.  But I will be re-sealing it.  Is there a safe way aside from 100 cheap-o wire brushes and 3 cans of de-greaser  to clean the trans casing without getting water/solvents inside?

I put a rubber plumbing cap over the output and a smaller one on the shifter hole.  can't remember the sizes, you'll have to measure but they were just a few dollars.  pressure washed it first to knock the big stuff off then covered it with some cheap walmart oven cleaning foam.  Pressure washed it again and it came out nice and clean.  You could probably use a good hose pipe nozzle and a brush if you don't have a washer.

transmission cap.jpg

• Like 1