IGNORED

Restoring the undercarriage.

Dan Hansen

Extremely nice work! I might have to look into the cost of shipping my 240 to you.

I hope you wore chemical resistant gloves and a mask when you took apart the half-shafts as they contain toxic chemicals (lead primarily).

43 minutes ago, gnosez said:

I hope you wore chemical resistant gloves and a mask when you took apart the half-shafts as they contain toxic chemicals (lead primarily).

I didn't know that. That would have been nice to know before I tore one down...

9 hours ago, gnosez said:

Extremely nice work! I might have to look into the cost of shipping my 240 to you.

Thank you....

I was not aware of the content of lead in the old grease, wearing no protection I´m now glowing in the dark...:-)

Lead based paints, grease and of course gasoline was banned in the  ,ate 1970s due to its' real potential to cause serious brain damage, especially in children. Lead pipes in the USA were still allowed into the early 19080s and lead in plumbing solder not banned until 1986.

Production of lead itself was a primary concern for people downstream. We found high levels of lead in a public playground sandbox miles from a lead smelter. It can be ingested, inhaled and absorbed into the body.

It has been theorized that lead pipes, paint, cosmetics with lead along with cooking pans and plates caused the Romans and later civilizations right up to the 20th Century to not develop into their full potential.

It will not make you glow in the dark however. That requires something with a half-life or a biological phosphorescence but jaundice is a pretty good third choice.

"The early extreme-pressure (EP) additives were based on lead salts of fatty acids ("lead soaps"), "active sulfur" compounds (e.g. thiols and elementary sulfur), and chlorinated compounds. During the 1950s the use of lead soaps was eliminated and replaced by zinc and phosphorus compounds such as zinc dithiophosphate."

Source: Monitoring Active Sulfur in EP Gear Oils, and Other Options for Monitoring EP Additive Depletion - Arnold Sugarman - online article in MacineryLubrication.com

For more details, click on this link:

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/496/active-sulfur-ep-gear-oil

So:  Based on Sugarman's article, it's not entirely clear on whether an automobile halfshaft manufactured in Japan in the early 1970's would have been assembled with an EP grease using lead-based EP grease.  Unless there are some real detectives out there, we may never know for sure.

Edited by Namerow
fix line-split error

56 minutes ago, Namerow said:

"The early extreme-pressure (EP) additives were based on lead salts of fatty acids ("lead soaps"), "active sulfur" compounds (e.g. thiols and elementary sulfur), and chlorinated compounds. During the 1950s the use of lead soaps was eliminated and replaced by zinc and phosphorus compounds such as zinc dithiophosphate."

Source: Monitoring Active Sulfur in EP Gear Oils, and Other Options for Monitoring EP Additive Depletion - Arnold Sugarman - online article in MacineryLubrication.com

For more details, click on this link:

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/496/active-sulfur-ep-gear-oil

So:  Based on Sugarman's article, it's not entirely clear on whether an automobile halfshaft manufactured in Japan in the early 1970's would have been assembled with an EP grease using lead-based EP grease.  Unless there are some real detectives out there, we may never know for sure.

Please forgive me, it was not my attention to ignore your knowledge on the subject. As owner of a painting-company with special in renovation and restoring old townhouses etc. in Copenhagen, We are time to time challenged by the fact that 400 year old layers of paint are with lead in them, therefor the procedure before and under are highly observed and documented, that is for the employes health and the risk of pollution of the dirt.

In fact our employes are having a blood test drawn before and after, again to document the procedure.

In subject to the renovation, the grease was removed with paper towels and bio soap, so there where no mechanical cleaning which could course dust etc.

12 minutes ago, Dan Hansen said:

Please forgive me, it was not my attention to ignore your knowledge on the subject. As owner of a painting-company with special in renovation and restoring old townhouses etc. in Copenhagen, We are time to time challenged by the fact that 400 year old layers of paint are with lead in them, therefor the procedure before and under are highly observed and documented, that is for the employes health and the risk of pollution of the dirt.

In fact our employes are having a blood test drawn before and after, again to document the procedure.

In subject to the renovation, the grease was removed with paper towels and bio soap, so there where no mechanical cleaning which could course dust etc.

No worries.  I didn't have any knowledge on the subject until I saw this thread and became curious.  The Sugarman article is an interesting read, for anyone interested in learning how extreme-pressure lubes work differently from garden-variety greases.

And now I know why gear lube stinks so bad (sulfur).