IGNORED

Value question on a 100k all original 78 280z

Wow. I'm impressed. I think that might be the cleanest all original 280 I've ever seen. With good pictures, I can usually find fault or untruths in sellers statements, but on that car, at least from the pics, I can't find any. I can't find any evidence to contradict the claim of original paint, and it has been kept in wonderful condition. Based on the cleanliness, I assume that it was rarely driven in crappy weather, and was always stored in a garage.
Original paint, radiator and cap, master cylinder, windshield washer tubing,  vacuum hoses, EGR is intact, original exhaust system, original frame rails, and the list goes on... Just look at that original yellow chromate!
Only things "wrong" are the sunroof, it doesn't have A/C, and it's a four speed instead of the five. I'd trade you for mine in a heartbeat. Even with all the improvements I've done on mine. In a heartbeat!
Congrats.  My only regret is that you didn't pay more. I like to believe my car is worth more than that, and now I'm not so sure!  LOL
Now change all the fluids, put in new fusible links, and install relays for the headlights and starter solenoid.   Also check that the radiator mounting wings on the upper sides of the rad are still attached. I've seen them come off before, and yours look a little flakey.
Wow thanks for all the feedback and knowledge bud. I will be checking all probably tonight [emoji55] don't think I can sleep.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Take care of those rust spots and do a little touching up and you'll have a really nice car. Congrats! I like that color too. I have to say though, I'm surprised to hear that big bumpered 280Zs are going for so much money though, but it's nice that they're getting some love.

What do you intend to do with the car? Any modifications planned, or just keep it factory original?

• Like 1

Wow. I'm impressed. I think that might be the cleanest all original 280 I've ever seen. With good pictures, I can usually find fault or untruths in sellers statements, but on that car, at least from the pics, I can't find any. I can't find any evidence to contradict the claim of original paint, and it has been kept in wonderful condition. Based on the cleanliness, I assume that it was rarely driven in crappy weather, and was always stored in a garage.
Original paint, radiator and cap, master cylinder, windshield washer tubing,  vacuum hoses, EGR is intact, original exhaust system, original frame rails, and the list goes on... Just look at that original yellow chromate!
Only things "wrong" are the sunroof, it doesn't have A/C, and it's a four speed instead of the five. I'd trade you for mine in a heartbeat. Even with all the improvements I've done on mine. In a heartbeat!
Congrats.  My only regret is that you didn't pay more. I like to believe my car is worth more than that, and now I'm not so sure!  LOL
Now change all the fluids, put in new fusible links, and install relays for the headlights and starter solenoid.   Also check that the radiator mounting wings on the upper sides of the rad are still attached. I've seen them come off before, and yours look a little flakey.
Remember the PO was a 71 year old women who only paid $8500 for it new LOL she wanted to leave it to her only child and he wanted nothing to do with it....[emoji54][emoji379] So im sure our cars are worth slightly more[emoji482][emoji109]

I figured 15k as my first guess. You did ok. There are a few little areas that need attention but very clean overall. Near the battery tray, go ahead and neutralize that rust, as well as the rear deck lid area. Also there is so slight bubbling in the front fenders but still very nice! Doors and jambs are clean. Under the hood clean and original finishes still evident. Nice find...
Thanks buddy and yes areas will be addressed.

I see what you meant about the dealer plate frames or whatever being pretty cool.  Younker Nissan in Renton still exists, but it hasn't been Younker Datsun in quite awhile.  Did you drive it all the way from eastside Seattle, over the pass to Yakima?

Absolutely did [emoji23]

Take care of those rust spots and do a little touching up and you'll have a really nice car. Congrats! I like that color too. I have to say though, I'm surprised to hear that big bumpered 280Zs are going for so much money though, but it's nice that they're getting some love. What do you intend to do with the car? Any modifications planned, or just keep it factory original? 

My plans exactly! I really was in the dark in regards to value but for what I've been seeing them sell for I figured I'd be an idiot not to snatch this up.  Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Congrats on your car purchase!  Very Nice.   Take good care of that only original once paint.

When I lived in the Seattle area,  I purchased some of the still available oem parts from Yonker Nissan.   Always drew a crowd when I took my 280 there.

FYI,  later this year, there is a big Datsun event in Canby Oregon.  Take that nice car there.

• Like 1

And I certainly hope you are planning to keep it dry, because if you don't, it's going to melt into rust like the rest of them.

Think about it this way... You have years of un-realized pent up potential rust. You can see a tiny bit peeking out here and there, but if you let it get wet, it's going to come out with a vengeance to make up for lost time.    LOL

15 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

And I certainly hope you are planning to keep it dry, because if you don't, it's going to melt into rust like the rest of them.

Think about it this way... You have years of un-realized pent up potential rust. You can see a tiny bit peeking out here and there, but if you let it get wet, it's going to come out with a vengeance to make up for lost time.    LOL

I can attest to this. Our fire department had a 1964  grass rig (Ford 1 ton 4x4 pick up) that was only used in the summers for grass fires. It had less than 20K miles. We sold it at auction and the buyer did nothing to protect it and as a all weather driver it "melted" away in two years. First brake lines then body parts.