IGNORED

JDM Grill

JLPurcell

8 hours ago, 72v8z said:

The mesh looks different on the JDM grill, different mounting also

I see that, It will be interesting to see the actual grill once it gets here. It is an original, I will not know true condition until I have it in my hands. I hope it meets my expectations. I want to use it on my 72 to go with the other period correct modifications. Sport mirrors, Datsun Comp front spoiler,  AR Libre wheels, MK63 brakes with vented rotors, and the factory accessory side stripes. With the exception of the MK63 upgrade this is how I purchased the car new. The grill will finish out the look. I have all of the original parts restored or NOS put away if the next owner wants to go back to stock. 

9 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Is that "period correct" for 1975 Japan?  Re the SpeedHunter's article.

Maybe it depends on how you define a period.

Just trying to learn more stuff.

Mesh gauge and mounting brackets changed over the years, but the mesh grille (a 'grill' is for cooking on...) was standard factory fitment on the Japanese market S30-series range from 1969 through 1978.

3 minutes ago, HS30-H said:

Mesh gauge and mounting brackets changed over the years, but the mesh grille (a 'grill' is for cooking on...) was standard factory fitment on the Japanese market S30-series range from 1969 through 1978.

Wasent there at least 4 different parts numbers over the years?

20 minutes ago, moelk said:

Wasent there at least 4 different parts numbers over the years?

Possibly even more if we count all of the supersessions and the 432-R specific one too, but the big differences are the mesh gauge 'count' and the rolling differences in the mounting brackets. 

Edit to add: Perhaps some of the confusion about what's "period correct" for Japan comes from the fact that the HS30-S 'Fairlady 240Z' and HS30 'Fairlady 240Z-L' models - produced and sold between October 1971 and the end of 1973 - came with the slat type grille also seen on Export model cars. All the 2-litre cars had mesh grilles right the way through production.

Edited by HS30-H
Added
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, moelk said:

I have these versions, would be nice to know which is older then the other.

Generally speaking, the finer the mesh the earlier the grille.

To be honest, both of those look to have a fairly low gauge of mesh, meaning 'late'. If the mounting brackets are the same on both, if one has a finer mesh then that would be earlier than the other.