IGNORED

Paint job

joe newsom

What are you guys paying for paint jobs?

I have had a couple quotes from professional painters wanting todo it at their house on the side for around 5k so I thought I would collect a quote from a legit shop. He gave me a quote for 25k with a warranty the others there is no warranty.

My car is pretty straight overall will some bodywork needed.

There is no way I can convince myself or my wife to spend that much. I would have a 35-40k sitting in the garage that is worth 15-30k the numbers don’t add up.

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

I did mine in 2016 at a high end Porsche shop. Owner has Worked on numerous car for us. Started out with a plan to remove the screwed on side molding and right side mirror holes. Found rust on the quarter below door and tailgate area. Repairs, glass out, full paint except engine bay. $12k. I did all of disassembly and reassembled. Base / clear to original color.
The repairs add up quick.
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

I built a shop with paint booth designed into it so I could do my own (learning as I go). Having said that, it will still cost me close to $7000 for paint supplies, tools and repair materials. About another $6,000 to modify the shop for working on my restomod. I knew I would pay upwards of $15,000 - $20,000 for a total top and bottom paint job (after all repairs and body work) so doing it myself is saving a tonne. This is not for the faint of heart though, as it is all up to you as to how good the finished product will be. I also took a few body work and paint classes....

8a.JPG

Edited by wheee!
  • Like 1

Getting quoted $25k seems like one of those "go away" prices shops throw at people when they don't want the work.  I'd keep shopping around.  $5-10k is probably more the going rate, with $5k being a shop that may cut some corners, and $10k being close to perfect (one would hope...).  

I see nothing wrong with going to a guy working out of his home though, provided he is reputable.  Some folks just enjoy this sort of work and do it to earn extra cash, but don't want to work it on a 9-5 basis.  

All depends on what type of job you want. If you are restoring the Z then you don't want a daily driver paint job which will cost you at least 5k. I don't know "exactly" how much a restoration paint job would cost but I'm sure its more than double the daily driver price, heck probably triple that price.

Paint costs generally don’t change too much from one level to the next. It’s the prep costs that will determine the bottom line. Stripped shell provided and all panels perfect, body work complete... should be the same within 20% margin for paint. DD or show car. The follow up cut and buff will be substantially more for a show car.
Giving them a roller with all panels requiring prep and body work is the difference really.

Which is pretty much what I was saying, "All depends on what type of job you want" Perfect body work or not, Perfect paint job or not.

When I was looking to get mine painted in 91 I got estimates while I was still CA and they wanted 5k then for some body work and 2 stage paint. After moving to Nevada in 91 I got estimates below 2k for the same work. So in 92 I got it painted for $1100.00. I believe it does matter some where your are located as far as prices go. 

Look forward to seeing how yours comes out wheee. 

Edited by rcb280z
added info

Which is pretty much what I was saying, "All depends on what type of job you want" Perfect body work or not, Perfect paint job or not.

Agreed. I know some people expect miracles from a car that is fully assembled and covered in dirt, and all at a bargain price. Your best price depends on how much you are willing to do yourself versus paying a shop to do.
  • Like 1