IGNORED

Every Z owners fantasy.....a working Clock

Phil Z

I guess I got lucky with my 71 clock. When I purchased my car in 1984 the clock did not work and I never worried about it. A few years ago when I had the dash out, I took the back off  the clock and noticed one of the wires had come off the solder. Soldered it back on and it started working.  It must have had a bad solder job from factory and probably only work for a little while. 

So, capacitor, broken wire, or bad crystal (Xtl) are the things to consider.

Curious - do you save your videos in a high-res format?  My ISP is supposed to be 4O Mbps but I get the spinning circle on some youtube videos, like yours.  I think it's just crappy CenturyLink servers but who knows.  It's funny how bad the internet still is even though the "speeds" are supposedly orders of magnitude faster than 54 KB.  Which was the fastest phone modem speed for quite a while.  Just checking.  Low res might get them to play better.

cheap o camera pretty sure its low res. I am not good with modern tech stuff. and yes internet speed is a joke I pay for 60mps or what ever I get 7mps per the speed test.

IMG_0485.JPG

Do you think this crystal is still available?
Thanks for all of your knowledge and support.

Phil Smith

Really don't know much about its make, but I would guess its not something hard to find.  A freq counter will tell. Could also try a scope and freq gen to see where it want to resonate. Interesting puzzle. I don't have much exp with Xtls beyond what I used in the color tv repairs so can not say if that 4194.5  is a freq or a part number or what.

A HAM may know.

Edited by Dave WM

• 1 month later...

Quartz mechanism

Ouch! your really going the wrong direction  when working on the quartz mechanism. The electronics with this clock is rock solid and good to about 50 pts per mil. I have never seen a bad  Xtl  or cap on these mechanisms. The problem is nearly always mechanical and usually missing teeth on the two nylon gears . There are other mechanical problems , but to lengthy for this post.

Std 280 mechansm

If your going to work on the ckt board you need to: 

1- make sure the coils are good. If the flywheel slightly moves it doesn't mean the coil isn't shorted or it will work if you replace all the parts. There are 2 coils , each has a difference resistance, and there are 2 versions of the ckt bd!

2-You need to replace ALL 3 caps (with exact values)and the tran. As mentioned in "DAVE WM" video the coil wires are very small, about 38 gauge , and a bear to replace. You can do everything right and still cook the coil in the process. Difficulty for replacing these parts is VERY HIGH, Unless you have done a lot of micro soldering and have the right tools I wouldn't attempt to replace these parts.

Just my 2C

Zclocks

• Like 2