IGNORED

differential half shaft seal. does it require special tools?

Jeff Berk

I have a 260z but I think the differential was switched out in the 1980's with an R200 differential. While replacing the strut on the right rear I noticed dried oil around the half shaft seal. I started looking up how to replace the seal and it looks there are several specialized tools needed. 

Is this a straight forward repair? I thought that all I needed to do is unblot it and yank out the shaft. 

Jeff 

IMG_0814.JPG

I think that that is an R180.  The bolts in a circle on the side are the clue.  Visible in your picture.  There should be a bolt behind the u-joint that you need to remove before yanking.

Most seals can be pulled easily by punching a small hole in them with an awl or small sharp punch then running a wood or sheet metal screw in to the hole to use as a puller.

Edited by Zed Head

Thanks ZedHead. Just to be on the safe side, please look at these two photos and confirm that this is an R180 if you have a minute. I just want to be sure I purchase the correct part. From the looks of it, it has been leaking for some time so I'm likely going to drain what's left and refill. Any suggestion on what works best for a lube? GL5?

IMG_0818.JPG

IMG_0822.JPG

When you get around to doing this repair, please take some pictures and post them here for the rest of us to take a look at.  I've never seen a seal replacement performed with the shaft still in place.  Not saying it can't be done.  I'd just like to see some pictures of the job being performed.

I'm pulling the half shaft since I already have the other end of the shaft disconnected to replace the strut.

If you go to the site listed below, there are detailed instructions on seal replacement (with the differential removed from the vehicle)

http://woodworkerb.com/home/datsun-240z-rebuild/replacing-oil-seals-r180-differential/

8 hours ago, Jeff Berk said:

If you go to the site listed below, there are detailed instructions on seal replacement (with the differential removed from the vehicle)

Thanks.  I hadn't checked WoodWorkerB's site for many months, so this installment was new to me.  He does great pictorials of his projects.  Highly recommended to anyone who may not have seen his library of Z restoration tasks.

I'm back again with another question. I'm trying to pull the right half shaft out and I'm assuming that the plate with 5 bolts is holding the shaft from just falling out so I can get to the seal. You could see in the photograph the plate with three of the five bolts removed (other bolts are also out). The plate seems stuck. Should I pry harder or is there something else I need to do?

Jeff

IMG_0826.JPG