IGNORED

WTB 280ZX distributor E12-80

spoofan

You can buy remans from various auto parts stores or I Rockauto.

The advantage of the local auto parts store is that you can keep returning the bad ones until you get a good one.  Somebody just went through three and still got a bad ignition module.  But he made it work.

+1. Zed head is on the right track.

The 280Z dizzy single pick up (D6F4 to D6F6) had 17 degrees mechanical advance and 10 to 18 degrees vacuum advance depending on model number dizzy. You can mount a HEI just about anywhere.

Thd 280ZX 79 - early 81 (D6K8 and D6K9) had 17 mechanical, but came with 10 to 30 vacuum advance. You can remove a blob of plastic to access a screw to adjust the spring tension in the vacuum dash pot, but it is tricky and you can damage it beyond repair.

I don't know what your setup is, but if you are using tripples, you probably have the initial timing set higher than 10 degrees. If you have 15 degrees initial advance, you could have conditions with 63 degrees advance on some distributors.

Something to keep in mind when you install one of these distributors.

Just noticed that spoofan is in Prague.  Might not have a local auto parts store that sells ZX distributors.

So, considering all, the Z distributor with a GM HEI  module seems even better.  The modules of the ZX distributor are both the weak part and the expensive part.  And the stator magnet isn't very durable either.  Overall, the Z distributor is more durable I think.

Rockauto has one, of the two pickup style.  Looks like they're getting sparse.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,1976,280z,2.8l+l6,1209226,ignition,distributor,7108

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,1977,camaro,4.1l+250cid+l6,1035100,ignition,ignition+control+module+(icm),7172

Don't overlook the 123 Ignition distributor.  It's an electronic option.  They're based in Holland, so pretty close.

http://www.123ignition.nl/

12 hours ago, EuroDat said:

You can remove a blob of plastic to access a screw to adjust the spring tension in the vacuum dash pot, but it is tricky and you can damage it beyond repair.

@EuroDat: Did you ever try this? Does turning the screw clockwise increase or decrease the vacuum advance?

I might have to do this as Cardone can't tell which advance they implemented. All years got the same parts number.

Guys, you are awesome! Thank you all for the responses.

As the Zed Head noticed, I am from Europe, so local auto parts store are near to none, especially for Datsuns. When I was in Dallas I have visited Summit and prayed to all gods something similar would be available in Europe :D

I have bought car with triples and a lot of not very well made modifications and timing/backfiring issue. I'd love to see it as a opportunity to upgrade ignition/spark system. So far I have read about ZX dizzy and MSD options.

Thanks for the 123, it looks really great and they are even in Prague! But the price is rather high... $564 or $584 for BT version. Just to put it in contex...it's 1/2 of the gross average sallary here :D

Do you guys have another tips?

10 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Just noticed that spoofan is in Prague.  Might not have a local auto parts store

Hihihi... yes...  No local parts store.. in Prague..

If you have a car with a lot "not very well made Mods.." Why add another one?  Get a good Original part ( i think i've got some of those.. PM me if you need want one of those.)

6 hours ago, german240 said:

@EuroDat: Did you ever try this? Does turning the screw clockwise increase or decrease the vacuum advance?

I might have to do this as Cardone can't tell which advance they implemented. All years got the same parts number.

@german240  Yes. We did it on a mates old rust bucket 280ZX. Unfortunatly we were not very carefull and the dremel we were using had too large a grinding head for the job.

We managed to get the plastic out and adjust the screw, but it had a vacuum leak because the grinder went through the side wall. Its very thin and easy to do. Sealed it with a blob of silicone and it didn't leak in the time he had it.

If I had to do it again, I would buy a kit of small grinding bits and take plenty of time to carefully remove the plastic.

20180206_174806.png

Edited by EuroDat

6 hours ago, spoofan said:

I have bought car with triples and a lot of not very well made modifications and timing/backfiring issue. I'd love to see it as a opportunity to upgrade ignition/spark system. So far I have read about ZX dizzy and MSD options.

Thanks for the 123, it looks really great and they are even in Prague! But the price is rather high... $564 or $584 for BT version. Just to put it in contex...it's 1/2 of the gross average sallary here :D

Do you guys have another tips?

Like dutchzguy said, any reman Datsun distributor will probably be of low quality.  And stronger spark won't fix your timing/backfiring issue, although a new/reman distributor might.  You could spend some important money and time and end up with the same problem.

If you have some electrical knowledge or know somebody who does you could probably devise a way to use your points to trigger an electronic module, such as the GM HEI module.  Like a home-built MSD unit, but much less expensive.  The HEI module trigger circuit is described as monitoring polarity of the voltage (zero crossing) but people have used it on the zero and five volt trigger from 280ZX turbo ECU's.  You could run the points circuit through the G and W terminals, with a resistor, if necessary.  Based on the ZX turbo ECU usage, it should be possible, I think.  That's just a way to get electronic ignition on a modest budget.  

Have you had your points distributor out and examined it?  The breaker plates tend to all apart.  There are other problems you can have with points also, like bad condensers.