IGNORED

steering wheel shake 280z while braking

Dave WM

I know its been covered but may as well document my journey. I am thinking its warped rotors, you can hear the pads rubbing at the "high" spot when up on jacks. I got the dial indicator on it to confirm.

about .004-.005 (pass side was .004 driver side was .005) total run out. The plan is to pull the rotors and get them turned, there looks to be plenty of meat left on them. I suppose I could get some duralast or some other made in China (prob all from the same factory) brand of new ones, but I am suspect of quality control. Of course I could bolt them on and see if the run out is gone. I did a check of the hub the rotor bolts to (not in the video), after cleaning some of the rust off so could get a decent reading. about .0005 (1/2 of the division on the dial indicator) so I assume the rotors are turning true.

What gets me is the FSM says max of .004, ok I am just over that, and I get a noticeable wheel shake when braking. I would think the FSM would be more conservative on its max speck IF that is the cause of the shake.

I have replaced the ball joints, TC bushing. sway bar busings, and serviced the struts (new o rings and oil, no bounce test past easy). I can't see any noticeable play in the inner or outer tie rod ends. I tested this by grabbing the wheel at 3 and 9 and shaking there is a tiny bit of play, but I think that maybe in the rack bushings (replaced with OE) no vert play at all (wheel bearings correctly lubed and preloaded). Again nothing other than the maxed out spec on the rotor.

anyway here is the start:

Edited by Dave WM

Have the rotors been turned in the past?  Could be they did a poor job.  Measure thickness and you might be able to tell if they've been turned before.  My local NAPA store still turns rotors.  $16 per rotor.

A funky tire might show up under braking.  You could swap back to front and see if there's a change.