IGNORED

WTB: Close ratio 5 sp trans and Engine Belly Pan

Tj320z

I recently purchased a fully rebuilt R200 3.90 with Quaife LSD from Whitehead Performance in Canada and all I can say is that it is an awesome upgrade from the R180 that I had.  The people at Whitehead were also great to work with and provided me with all of the info I needed to complete the install.  I also went with the T3 mustache bar setup.  Not the least expensive way to go but very happy with this upgrade.  Wish I had done it when I rebuilt the rear end on my car a number of years ago.

Hope that helps.

Mike.

As I said it was not cheap, but the diff was completely rebuilt with new bearings and everything set up correctly.  It also included a brand new Quaife LSD, which by itself was $1300.  Total shipped to my home in Texas came in around $3K.  That did not include the mustache bar setup that I purchased separately from T3.

The stock half shafts that I had for my R180 did not have the flanges on the diff end which the R200 requires.  Instead they had a spline that slid into the diff and was secured with a bolt that went through the splined shaft and bolted into the diff.  The R200 uses a flange attachment as opposed to this spline arrangement and so that needed to be changed on the half shafts.  I ended up having a spare set of half shafts that had the correct flanges and I rebuilt those while I was waiting for the diff to arrive.  Whitehead included the proper flanges and so if I did not have the spare set I would have had to simply change out the spline attachment to the flange arrangement on my existing half shafts.

My primary motivation for doing this was a clunking that I had in the rear end.  When I rebuilt the rear end about 5 years ago I replaced the lower diff mount and also installed an RT mount assuming that this would take care of the clunking problem.  Unfortunately it did not.  I spent hours under the car looking for other culprits but could not locate anything that appeared to be problematic.  During this same rebuild I had also rebuilt the half shafts including new U joints and did the same with the drive shaft, all new bushings in the control arms, etc so there really wasn't much else that could have been wrong.  I ultimately concluded that the old R180 diff itself, which had over 200K miles on it was simply worn out, so I decided to go with this rebuilt one from Whitehead.  Clunk completely gone! 

Let me know if you need any other info.  I will say that if you do decide to go the T3 route, we ran into a few install issues with this setup because of some confusion with the parts they supplied with the kit.  I won't go into all of the details here, but if anyone needs to know this info I'll be glad to elaborate.

Mike.

Guy,

Not sure yet on ZCON.  It's a long drive from Austin especially hauling an enclosed trailer.  I'm also waiting to see if my son can get the time off too.  Will keep you posted.

Tom,

I 100% agree with you on the benefits of the LSD.  I was fully expecting more traction on acceleration especially moving to 3.9 from stock.  But the improvement in handling was a very pleasant side effect.  My car handled pretty well with the old 180, but now it just feels totally planted going through the curves.  Really happy that I finally did this.

Mike.