IGNORED

I've finally finished my new shop website!

MichaelsVintage

After what felt like a million hours of teaching myself Wordpress, formatting pages, and resizing photos, I've finally gone live with the totally new version of www.MichaelsVintageRacing.com! It's got tons of cool photos, info about our cars and drivers, our 2018 schedule, and more!

Please take a minute to give it a look and share any input!

39993262761_2cf85f8727_z.jpg

39961860762_9a7bccc32c_z.jpg

39993262911_d96bca84e8_z.jpg

39961860862_c607f15264_z.jpg

Edited by MichaelsVintage

The web site looks well done.  Smooth and polished.  But I couldn't really figure out what the product is.  Am I joining a team, or renting a race car?  Or is it a race prep service for my own race car?  There's a link to SVRA but it's not clear what that is until you read the logo on the linked page.  

It seems to be set up for people who already know what "vintage racing" is.  I had never heard of vintage racing as a thing until you showed up.  Actually, it seems to be something that you guys have created on your own, if I read things right.

Just saying, it all seems kind of fuzzy.  Maybe give an example on the site of how a neophyte would get involved.

Edit - forgot to say also that you should put a link to the site in your post.  http://michaelsvintageracing.com/about/

"

What is vintage racing?

Vintage racing is an exciting and challenging way to hop in the driver's seat of your dream car and race at tracks all over the country and the world! Drivers get to race the vintage car of their choice against other enthusiasts! The atmosphere is laid-back and friendly, so you're sure to meet some new friends!

Edited by Zed Head

Thanks for the feedback!

I was hoping the "New to Vintage Racing?" section on the homepage and the "vintage racing" page in the menu would answer a neophyte's questions. Were those still not informative enough? What other information would you suggest I add?

This is good to know, as I hope to use the site to increase knowledge and awareness about vintage racing through it. We did not invent it; it's been around since the 70s or 80s and it's a worldwide sport.

I can't believe I forgot the link, haha. Thanks for adding it. Edit: Looks like the link is there, but the forum broke the hyperlink.

On the home page you talk about "our team" and "our cars" and then say that vintage racing is a hobby that allows people to "hop in the driver's seat".  At the bottom of the page, it says that you have to get a license from one of many organizations, but when I click Learn More there's nothing there about the other organizations.

"Get your license
Vintage racing organizations offer their own racing schools and accept licenses from other schools across the country."

It looks like, no offense, you're just a race-prep, transport, and restoration shop for old cars.  I assume that you store them also?  There's a local guy around here who does that for Porsche owners.  He has a shop full of Porsches and he gets them ready and transports them to the tracks, around the country, so the owners can drive them.  Is that what you guys do?  I think that the "Vintage Racing" branding is a little confusing.  I'm not sure it's really a "thing".  Seriously, are you guys trying to create a brand?

Okay, I just did a Google and it looks like it started as a regional thing, in the Southeast.  https://svra.com/about-us/

Looks like a small regional club thing that you're trying to make bigger.  Good luck.  I guess my point is that there are probably a lot of people who have no idea what it is or where it came from.

5 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

On the home page you talk about "our team" and "our cars" and then say that vintage racing is a hobby that allows people to "hop in the driver's seat".  At the bottom of the page, it says that you have to get a license from one of many organizations, but when I click Learn More there's nothing there about the other organizations.

"Get your license
Vintage racing organizations offer their own racing schools and accept licenses from other schools across the country."

It looks like, no offense, you're just a race-prep, transport, and restoration shop for old cars.  I assume that you store them also?  There's a local guy around here who does that for Porsche owners.  He has a shop full of Porsches and he gets them ready and transports them to the tracks, around the country, so the owners can drive them.  Is that what you guys do?  I think that the "Vintage Racing" branding is a little confusing.  I'm not sure it's really a "thing".  Seriously, are you guys trying to create a brand?

Okay, I just did a Google and it looks like it started as a regional thing, in the Southeast.  https://svra.com/about-us/

Looks like a small regional club thing that you're trying to make bigger.  Good luck.  I guess my point is that there are probably a lot of people who have no idea what it is or where it came from.

Okay, good point. I can spend some time listing the clubs for reference.

I'm not sure why I would take offense to being a race-prep, transport, and restoration shop for old cars; that's what we do. We store customer cars, but I'm not advertising that separately because space is at a premium.

Vintage racing happens all over the country and the world, and has for quite some time. I agree it needs help with exposure, and I'd like to help with that.

I'm not SVRA, that's just one of the clubs we run with. I updated that page to explain the acronym as you mentioned. They just have good info for what types of cars are eligible, so I linked to them. I can add some more exposition there, though.

That is much better.  Now I feel like there's a starting point, with the list of places to get a license.  I got 404 errors on all of the club links though.

I'm just one guy.  Who complains a lot.  So you might wait for a few more opinions.

I meant "no offense" about the "just" part.  Good luck.

6 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

That is much better.  Now I feel like there's a starting point, with the list of places to get a license.  I got 404 errors on all of the club links though.

I'm just one guy.  Who complains a lot.  So you might wait for a few more opinions.

I meant "no offense" about the "just" part.  Good luck.

I'm very persnickety about things I work on (cars included), so I appreciate the input. I'll check on those links :)

Edit: Links are fixed!