IGNORED

What frame rails?!

rcb280z

They've been like this for quite some time now. I just look away when I go under to change the oil. Of course the right thing would be to replace them correct? Do you think they are beyond repair or the consideration of repair? Both sides pretty much look this way. Some of you are probably shaking your head right now. Saying "repair?!"  I know some of you have replaced them but I see nothing on how pricey it was. Taking suggestions here.

I'm assuming it's a lot of work--remove carpet on the inside so they don't catch on fire, etc, etc. And if better pics are needed I can get her up in the air to take some.

fr2.jpg

fr1.jpg

Well replacing those with new rails would be the best way to go but you would have to remove the carpets and the tar sound deadening, under coating and protect those fuel lines with some thin sheet metal while you are drilling out the spot welds, grinding and welding, big job.

You could also cut along the edges of the bottoms of the rails as best you can, it's pretty bad but when the bottom is off you could re shape the sides of the rails, grind it flat and weld a strap of sheet metal onto the bottom to seal it up again. That would save you removing the carpets, sound deadening and all the spot weld drilling. The first way is the proper way, the second is patching but if done well would look good, save some time and effort and would be just as strong.

Not being rusted out - I would consider repair . I am assuming that there is no previous repair and there isn’t rust under there. Like said , cut bottoms out and work metal and recap . Take your time and you might not catch anything on fire!

grannyknot         Yeah I was afraid I would have to remove everything from the interior, stuff in direct contact with the floor. 

madkaw              The bottom of the rail's do have rust but it's only on the bottom, where the holes are. And no previous repair has been done. I don't trust myself to weld in that area. Afraid I will catch something on fire. 

gwri8                    Im glad I wasn't too far off with the repair thought. I will more than likely find someone to fix it for me unless it's something I can't afford.

So, any ideas what I could spend having it done? I will post a couple more pics as soon as I can get her in the air and take some.

Thanks guys

Edited by rcb280z

If you think of them as "boxed reinforcing members" instead of frame rails it generates some extra possibilities.  You could cut the bottoms off and have a flat piece welded on without even removing floor pan parts or even carpet.

Just an alternative view. 

Edit - I didn't read all of the posts.  I like madkaw's.

Edit 2 - I like grannyknot's post.

Edit 3 - they're all good.  I have bad forum etiquette.

Edited by Zed Head
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

If you think of them as "boxed reinforcing members" instead of frame rails it generates some extra possibilities.  You could cut the bottoms off and have a flat piece welded on without even removing floor pan parts or even carpet.

Just an alternative view. 

Edit - I didn't read all of the posts.  I like madkaw's.

Yeah I'm also thinking it will be less expensive to do also. I like it.

I had some holes in the passenger floor pan and end of the frame rail. Every collision shop I talked to didn’t want to mess with it. They can make more money fixing accidents covered by insurance.

I talked with several members of the Georgia Z Club and they referred me to a guy who does welding on cars on weekends. I fabricated a patch panel and he welded it on. Welding cost me $80. Recommend you talk with your local Z club and see if they know somebody that can weld it for you.

11 minutes ago, Pat Carr said:

I had some holes in the passenger floor pan and end of the frame rail. Every collision shop I talked to didn’t want to mess with it. They can make more money fixing accidents covered by insurance.

I talked with several members of the Georgia Z Club and they referred me to a guy who does welding on cars on weekends. I fabricated a patch panel and he welded it on. Welding cost me $80. Recommend you talk with your local Z club and see if they know somebody that can weld it for you.

Also good info.