IGNORED

1972 240Z Sells for $37K at Barrett-Jackson Auction

lonetreesteve

I live close to auburn Indiana where there is a big annual auction. A couple years ago, a nice '73 went on the block and sold for low $20's to a remote "internet" bidder. 

The paint was new and nicely done but the sanding of the body work looked like I did it. It also wasn't correct to the car.

i wouldn't have called that a restore either. Sometimes the value of these cars can be very confusing. 

Of course.

Interesting that it's actually a "resto-mod".  People ask often if they should restore or modify their Z's.  Looks like people are paying for the modified cars now.  Wheels, PCV system, interior...it's not a restoration.

Did anyone catch this auction on Discovery or Velocity last night? 

It was the first time I have ever seen a 240Z auction televised at Barrett-Jackson before. Rick Debruhl talked about how "the 240Z pretty much single-handily almost killed the British sports car world".  Mike Joy was on the stage with the car and talked about how the car was "restored to a high standard". Mike also pointed out that this '72 had the earlier 2400 OHC valve cover that came on the first 8000 Zs and that on eBay that you would pay up to $600.00 for one. Both of them seemed enthusiastic about the car and 240Zs in general. I thought it was pretty cool to finally see a 240Z auction televised on Barrett-Jackson and go for a good amount of money (even with the half-dash cap ).

• Like 2