IGNORED

Transistor Module swap *PLS HELP*

Halo8u

Hey guys, I'm brand new on here. I have a 75 280, and I'm having some issues. 

As most know, datsun is really weird about switching up their transistor ign modules throughout the years. Mine came with the E12-06, but I had a buddy who had a E12-27 that he'd sell me for cheap, so I grabbed it. However I've run into an issue. The 06 is a 7 pin (non cali), and the 27 is 5 pin, missing a brown and white wire. From what I've seen, the brown is a ground of sorts, but the white goes through the water temp relay to the water temp sensor (I'm assuming to advance/ retard turning when cold or at O.T.) My question is what should I do with the white wire? I may have to manually flip the relay somehow with a switch, but I might not have to. Any input will help! 

You can read Marks thread on it.  Its his restoration thread, but from page 68/69 hewent through a similar issue. Plenty of photos and diagrams

I changed my module to a GM HEI a couple of years back and made a sjmple instruction on what I did to do the swap.

TIU280Z1976_REV2 (1).pdf

Edited by EuroDat

That was the thread.  I forgot that it was part of a much bigger one.  Never would have found it.

Halo, are you just planning ahead with a spare, or having ignition problems?  The GM HEI module swap is a better system, I think, with a new GM module, than using an old Nissan 7 pin module.  Plus, the Nissan modules were "low energy" until 1978.  And I think that after 1977 they were all 5 pin, so the -27 is probably have a low energy Nissan module.

Use the GM module and appropriate coil, remove the ballast, and you'll be able to run a wider gap on your plugs and have a stronger spark.

I will look into doing that. I'm just trying to get spark, haven't gotten spark since I got it. It's been such a nightmare. But mine is the black box, with a 5 pin connector rather than the normal one with wires and rings to connect it. 

1 hour ago, Halo8u said:

I think I may have a single pickup dizzy. From what I saw. How big of an issue is That?

I think that EuroDat addresses the single versus dual pickups in his writeup.  But, you don't need to swap distributors, you can use the just one of the two pickup coils that's in your current distributor.  You'll have a spare pickup coil already installed if you do it that way.  

3 minutes ago, Halo8u said:

I will look into doing that. I'm just trying to get spark, haven't gotten spark since I got it. It's been such a nightmare. But mine is the black box, with a 5 pin connector rather than the normal one with wires and rings to connect it. 

There are some basic tests that you can do to figure out where the problem is.  Have you confirmed power to the coil?