IGNORED

123ignition and Oem Tachometer - any issues?

123ignitionusa

I have had a few ask if there is any problem running the 123ignition with the old tachometer.

To my knowledge there is no problem. However, if you do need to have your tachometer repaired there are two  companies that do the conversions to add modern electronics so they will work with the modern ignitions of today.  I had mine repaired in 2006 by JDO in the UK. I can't say enough good about them and their service.

They are:  http://www.jdo1.com/ and http://www.nisonger.com/

If you have any issues and fixes post them here.

• 1 year later...

I have a ‘73 240Z stock tach and 123ignition tune+ (Bluetooth).  I love it, and the Tach (and all my gauges) work and almost exactly match the 123i IPhone app display.

The features are awesome:-

Tunable advance curves.  Multiple File load/save   + Live Analog  Adv. Display

(Track /Street Tune)

Tune “on the fly” from Bluetooth app, but only +/- of advance.  You have to edit the curve(s) and reload with engine off to make permanent changes.

Tunable Vacuum map + Live Analog Vac. Display (in Hg)

Max RPM setting (dizzy enforces by random spark cut)

Tach - (from Dizzy Analog display)

GPS MPH (Digital display)

Dizzy (~Battery after Ballast if installed) Analog Voltage /Amps

Temp Analog (I assume this is engine compartment taken from Dizzy housing)

Oh and Immobilizer with PIN. I previously used a “kill switch” that grounded the (-) side of the stock dizzy to do this.

OK. It is a bit pricey- but I’ve been looking for these features without replacing the stock gauges.  I replaced a Mallory electronic dizzy, but it had mechanical advance and the vacuum was diaphragm type.  Changing advance curves involved changing weights in the Dizzy ?

B5DF6B50-DC38-40D0-823D-65BB5080BDE6.jpeg

• Like 1

I have a ‘73 240Z stock tach and 123ignition tune+ (Bluetooth).  I love it, and the Tach (and all my gauges) work and almost exactly match the 123i IPhone app display.

The features are awesome:-

Tunable advance curves.  Multiple File load/save   + Live Analog  Adv. Display

(Track /Street Tune)

Tune “on the fly” from Bluetooth app, but only +/- of advance.  You have to edit the curve(s) and reload with engine off to make permanent changes.

Tunable Vacuum map + Live Analog Vac. Display (in Hg)

Max RPM setting (dizzy enforces by random spark cut)

Tach - (from Dizzy Analog display)

GPS MPH (Digital display)

Dizzy (~Battery after Ballast if installed) Analog Voltage /Amps

Temp Analog (I assume this is engine compartment taken from Dizzy housing)

Oh and Immobilizer with PIN. I previously used a “kill switch” that grounded the (-) side of the stock dizzy to do this.

OK. It is a bit pricey- but I’ve been looking for these features without replacing the stock gauges.  I replaced a Mallory electronic dizzy, but it had mechanical advance and the vacuum was diaphragm type.  Changing advance curves involved changing weights in the Dizzy ?

Yep.  My 240Z never ran as smoothly as when I got this installed and the tune right. 

I set valve lash correctly, rebuilt the SU carbs, with new OEM Nozzles and SM needles, found TDC and then installed the 123ignition dizzy. Sweet. 

And yes, you can enable/disable ignition spark from the app.  So an immobilizer. Most old Datsun keys can start a worn out ignition lock, if they are original.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

@123ignitionusa I just stumbled on this old thread after making a dupe.  I had some issues getting my tach to work in my 11/70 240Z but resolved it with the help of some friendly forum members. The solution is here - my beautiful drawing is public domain so feel free to reprint it 🙂

While I have your attention, it would be extremely cool if there was a library of user contributed centrifugal and MAP curves that beginners like me could reference - especially if they were listed along with engine specs (e.g. carbs, cam, exhaust setup etc).  Also, the initial timing degrees.  I'll bet if you put out the call here and on hybridz you could get some forum members to contribute.

Edited by rcv
  • Like 1