IGNORED

Lost bolt and bushing off rear lower control arm

Redwing

As a new muffler was being installed, muffler man noticed the bolt and bushing missing from the rear lower control arm.  He advised me to get it fixed soon as it was dangerous to drive that way.  I took it to Pete my mechanic immediately.   Getting a spare from Greg,  Pete placed it in RedBird without a bushing, and tightened all of the other bushings as they were loose.  I learned that this should not have happened, the bolt and bushing should not have fallen out.

Wednesday I went to the mechanic who replaced all the bushings over 2 years ago.  He said it was not his problem.  That "all bushings loosen up with time".  So I said "after driving my 240Z for 259,000 miles, they never came loose on her.  Why?"   No answer.  But he then did make a crude comment about my 280Z being "a mess of get around fixes".  To which I mentioned, "well the stalling issues she was having (that he wanted to remove the head for), had been fixed by a simple replacement of the ECU, and she has run perfect since.   And, that info was given to me by members of CZCC".  To which he smirked "I remember you talking about that online group.  I don't  believe anything online people say.  I have been working on cars since I was __ (3, 6, 10?) years old, and I know about cars."  Arrogant! 

I was so frustrated that I posted about this encounter on Facebook, not naming him, just saying a mechanic who worked on my car.  Poof, in a short time, he posted to my comment saying he had now ordered the bushings.  Stating he had JUST THEN found out online that they work loose, a known problem with "those cars".  (Now believing online help?)  Saving face to the world, saying "sorry for the misunderstanding."  No misunderstanding, he had an about face.  If he had JUST THEN found that out, how did he know before when we were talking?    Hmmm...

I REALLY REALLY REALLY do not want him to touch my RedBird again.  Not sure how I will handle this.  If I had the spare $ to order the bushings myself, I'd  love to tell him that since he has been such a jerk, go stuff the ones he ordered where the sun doesn't  shine.  ?

That's the abbreviated sad tale.  If any of you have information on these bushings loosening up or not, I'd  love to hear it.

Thanks all...

Jai

20171206_125836.jpg

Edited by Redwing
enter quotes

a few things, there are factory OE bushings, and then there are PU after market bushings (I see red bird has a lot of those), both available. I prefer factor OE when ever possible, they do have a correct method of install, such as not tightening the bolt until the car is loaded (on the ground not suspended in the air with the wheels hanging). This is due to the fact that the bushing is bonded to the inner metal part, tighten the bolt with the car in the air supported by frame and you pre stress the bond (when lowered to the ground). The PU bushings don't have this issue as there is no bonding (they are installed with a lubricant between the urethane and the metal inner part) . While being a mechanic is great, unless you know the ins and outs of a Z car, then forums with members that eat and breathe this stuff can be a better source info about what parts are available and what best practice may be. There will still be bad advise, so you need to try and figure out what people to listen  to. One way of knowing is listen to those the have the most success with their own cars. Also if you get a consensus of opinion, avoid the outliers unless they are the only ones with success.

One last thing on tightening, the FSM has specs on most every nut and bolt, IIRC these require 100ft lbs, which is a lot, maybe more than what might seem right if not consulting the FSM. there is not a lot of room under the car when its on the ground so if trying to tighten that way is may be possible that someone takes a short cut and just does not get on it hard enough. For me the best practice would be to load, tighten then lift and torque to spec, at least with OE bonded bushings.

The bushing you currently have (red showing in photo) is an aftermarket PU style.

Edited by Dave WM
  • Like 2

another observation about a professional mechanic, I am not one but I do see how if a car came to me with a lot of after market changes from OE may make me hesitant to want to take it on. Not that aftermarket is bad but it you would have to consider who was doing the work and to what degree was it done right. I think untouched cars that have worn out parts are often more desirable, simply due to the belief that incorrect work may not have been done. I used to work on a lot of vintage electronic gear, something I always hated to see was a set that had obvious work done on it. You never really know if the work done actually fixed a problem or became a problem. I would much rather work on an untouched chassis as I could be pretty sure a proper restoration would be easier than trying to unravel prior work done.

Edited by Dave WM
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Dave WM said:

" While being a mechanic is great, unless you know the ins and outs of a Z car, then forums with members that eat and breathe this stuff can be a better source info about what parts are available and what best practice may be." 

"One last thing on tightening, the FSM has specs on most every nut and bolt, IIRC these require 100ft lbs, which is a lot, maybe more than what might seem right if not consulting the FSM. there is not a lot of room under the car when its on the ground so if trying to tighten that way is may be possible that someone takes a short cut and just does not get on it hard enough. For me the best practice would be to load, tighten then lift and torque to spec, at least with OE bonded bushings."

These comments, both by Dave WM, truly point out what I feel.  It would be wrong to allow that guy to replace them.  He is not interested in learning, by his own statements,  that some cars are not like all cars.  

I will not take my RedBird back to that man to replace the lost bolt and bushing.  Heard the expression "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me"?   I believe taking her back to him to replace the bushing is just asking for the same outcome in a matter of time.  How to get the needed bushing is another deal.  But my first thoughts about not allowing him to touch my RedBird stand true.  He will NOT!

Thank you Dave WM, for your great comments to help me.  

Jai

Edited by Redwing

Well I can definitely supply the bolt and washer, and at the very least a stock bushing. I have to look and see if I have a spare poly bushing, If I do, that's coming as well. Please send me a PM and we'll arrange shipping details. Slightly late Xmas present, K?

• Like 1

On 1/8/2018 at 1:48 AM, zKars said:

Well I can definitely supply the bolt and washer, and at the very least a stock bushing. I have to look and see if I have a spare poly bushing, If I do, that's coming as well. Please send me a PM and we'll arrange shipping details. Slightly late Xmas present, K?

Thank you zKars.  We have connected, and these parts are being sent from him to me!  Great news!!!